Milk.. whole or 2%?

My Daughter is a year old and I started her on milk, at first all I had was 2% in the fridge and she took to it really well, the next time I went to the store tho I picked up whole milk because I read that 2% was bad because it didn't have enough fat in it. She isn't taking to whole milk very well, she spits it up alot or doesn't drink as much and doesn't act like she likes it. I'm thinking about going back to 2%, I've compared the containers and they both have the same amount of vitamins and 2% has folic acid that whole doesn't. My Daughter isn't skinny by any means so the lower fat content shouldn't hurt her growth should it?

cvinther2006

Asked by cvinther2006 at 12:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Kids do not need the saturated fat in cow's milk for brain development. Yes, they need fats for brain development, but what is needed are Omegas, NOT saturated fats. My son can't tolerate milk or soy so he drinks hemp milk. He drank that from 16 months until now. It is comparable to 2% cow's milk in fat content but contains EFAs. He is thin, really thin, and didn't suffer from the lower fat content. I gave him what I had to give him. Now he's 28 months and drinks primarily almond milk. It has less fat and more carbs than the hemp milk, which irritates his stomach less (he has reflux). If she prefers the 2%, I would stick with that being as no milk is necessary beyond weaning and all nutrients in milk can be gotten from other food sources.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 3:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Kids need the fat to help brain development, so I'd try to get her to accept the whole milk.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Well, I will start off by saying talk to her ped. You and her ped would know what's best better than us.
    Now, I started my son off with 2% milk. He still drinks 2% milk.. .I figure with the amount of milk he drinks, what's the difference? LOL I sometimes think I should just get a cow and put it in the yard. LOL I did buy one regular whole milk recently and I'll see how he does with that.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Try the whole milk. Toddlers need the fat in whole milk.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 1:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If you can add a little of the whole milk 2 oz to 6 oz of the 2% for a couple of days, then 4 oz & 4 oz for a couple of days, then 6 oz of whole and 2 oz of 2% for a couple more, you should be able to get her to take the whole milk, which she SHOULD have until age 2 yrs. WIC (in TEXAS) has recently changed their milk program where the kids get whole milk from 1-2 yrs, then at 2 yrs it is changed to 2%. So we have had to do the reverse, but I wanted him to have all the benefit of the milk fat for his first 2 years of life, while his brain is developing. After that, it's up to you. I actually kept him on the whole milk and WIC changed when he turned 30 months. It's been OK for us as far as increasing his appetite. But for a one year old, I'd go with whole milk. Good luck, Mama!
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 1:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Toddlers don't need cow's milk at all. Cow's milk is for baby cows. Moo:)
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You can try mixing the milks together and gradually reduce the 2% until he's on whole. My oldest son refused whole milk, but we drink skim and when I gave him some of that at a little over one he drank it fine! So he's always had skim, but I have made sure that he got fat from other sources (a pat of butter on his potatoes, full fat yogurt and cheese, etc). My youngest drinks whole fine, but I sympathize with your child - I can't drink whole but love skim, it's a mouth feel thing.

Answer by missanc at 2:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son was the same way.. He wont' drink whole milk but will drink 2 % . So until I switched over to giving him 2% milk at 2 1/2 years old he just didn't drink milk and he was fine. If your little one will drink 2% give it to them.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• We use skim milk... I say use whatever your child will drink. I agree with mom2ljh! "Kids do not need the saturated fat in cow's milk for brain development. Yes, they need fats for brain development, but what is needed are Omegas, NOT saturated fats."
    Navymama

Answer by Navymama at 4:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Mom2ljh is correct... kids do NOT need that extra fat unless their doctors tell you that they're underweight. They get enough of the omega fats in 2% milk and the foods they eat. 2% milk is perfectly acceptable. Keep doing what you're doing.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 6:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009