What frosting do you use to decorate cookies?

I'm going to let the kids help decorate cookies. I know I have to buy the premade sugar cookie dough and cookie cutters. But, I wanted to know what type of frosting to use. Regular cake frosting is too soft. I wanted somethng like they use in the bakery, glossy and firm. Any ideas? Thanks

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 12:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Royal icing is the most firm & is what you often find on fancy cookies used for decorations. It is edible, but it tastes terrible.

You could make a buttercream frosting using margarine instead of butter, which can be flavored & tastes better, but is also soft; however it will dry fairly firm to a light touch. You shouldn't stack the cookies, though, as the icing would squish.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 12:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• There are a bunch of great icing recipes on Allrecipes.com! They've saved me numerous times :)
    bootsky

Answer by bootsky at 12:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i would say the buttercream frosting as well, im making a cake right now actually :) haha
    Anonymous

• I use powdered sugar, milk and butter. You can google a recipe from that. :) So good.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• 1 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/2 tsp. vanilla, 1 to 1 1/2 Tbsp. cream or milk. Blend 1st 3 ingredients together, add cream/milk to make it easy to spread. Tint with a few drops of food coloring if desired.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The bought kind works fine. Just leave your cookies spread out until the icing dries. Then put them away.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Why do you have to buy premade cookies? Mixing cookie dough does not take long, makes tastier (and healthier) cookies, and is a great learning experience (reading a recipe, following directions, measuring, etc.).

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I have done homemade cookies before. But, I'm just not feeling that right now. 2 dozen cupcakes, a cake and cookies...no store bought will do for now.

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 10:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2009