Work rights during pregnancy...

This morning, I woke up with terrible morning sickness and vomiting, so I called my boss and told her I might not be able to make it in today. She told me she does NOT allow morning sickness as an excuse and I needed to try to make it into work as soon as possible and was just very RUDE. She doesn't have any children and has never been pregnant, so I don't feel that she could ever know what morning sickness feels like and how awful it can be. She even critisized me and asked me how I was supposed to manage 2 children, work, and school. I have been working there for 9 months now and have NEVER called off sick. The only time I ever called in was when I was in the ER, because I was in a car accident and was bleeding from my head and the doctor told me I may have a concussion. Anyway, my question is this: Are there any laws or rules stating that a pregnant woman is allowed to miss work if she is sick or anything like that?

MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Asked by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 12:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Money & Work

• Well, you really don't have to give her a reason. That could save you an argument. Just say plain and simple, I'm not feeling well, I won't be in. Now, IDK what the rules are at your job... they don't have to LET you take the day off, but not because your pregnant or not. What was in the contract/rules when you started working there? Do you have personal/sick days?
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Thank you for your answer! And that's what I tried to do with her, but my boss is VERY nosy and likes to drill things out of people. This is how the convo went:
    ME: I don't think I'm gonna be able to make it in today.
    BOSS: Why?
    ME: I feel sick.
    BOSS: What kind of sick?
    ME: Nauseous sick.
    BOSS: Are you pregnant?
    ME: ..........
    BOSS: Huh?! Are you pregnant?!
    ME: yes...
    BOSS: Well, you need to try to make it in as soon as possible, because I don't allow morning sickness as an excuse. You need to get that under control..blah blah blah.
    Then she went on to ask me how I was going to care for my kids and everything which is NONE OF HER BUSINESS!
    Anyway, I didn't get any rules that said anything about what would happen if I were to become pregnant or anything like that and no I don't get any sick days. I work for a lady that owns her own company. We don't even get lunch breaks. We have to eat our meals at the computer.
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 2:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Wow... that's terrible. I've never heard of such a thing. You may want to contact United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and your state civil rights commission to find out what your rights are. Have you ever thought about working from home? I am a stay at home Mom to a 2 year old and 7 month old. I work with a great team of Moms; we help people create income from home. No parties, No inventory, No MLM! WEEKLY PAY! FREE website, training, and UNLIMITED support!! Just A SAFE, SIMPLE, SENSIBLE, and SOLID ... NO-RISK HOME BUSINESS. The best part is I can make money and be with my Family!!!
    You can have the best of both worlds too.
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!
    Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Check out my website
    http://www.4MyFamilyandMe.com/
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 6:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You have to get a lunch break BY LAW. You get a 15 minute break for every 4 hours that work. I'm trying to remember the lunch break laws, it's been a while for me. Women get a minimum of 45 mins and men 30.

Not sure about denying you the sick day. But I'm sure there's some kind of laws about it somewhere.
    Anonymous

• You need to contact your state department of labor and the Equal Employment Opportunity commission www.eeoc.gov

Good luck

Answer by rkoloms at 5:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Thank you all for your answers. I will definitely do my research!
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 26, 2009