Work rights during pregnancy...

This morning, I woke up with terrible morning sickness and vomiting, so I called my boss and told her I might not be able to make it in today. She told me she does NOT allow morning sickness as an excuse and I needed to try to make it into work as soon as possible and was just very RUDE. She doesn't have any children and has never been pregnant, so I don't feel that she could ever know what morning sickness feels like and how awful it can be. She even critisized me and asked me how I was supposed to manage 2 children, work, and school. I have been working there for 9 months now and have NEVER called off sick. The only time I ever called in was when I was in the ER, because I was in a car accident and was bleeding from my head and the doctor told me I may have a concussion. Anyway, my question is this: Are there any laws or rules stating that a pregnant woman is allowed to miss work if she is sick or anything like that?

MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Asked by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Health

• Just show up and puke on her shoes.... funny how then it woudl be a valid excuse!!
    Anonymous

• No if you had the flu or a fever or was really sick with something contagious I could see missing work, but for morning sickness, absolutley not, and believe me, I had the worst morning sickness in the history of the world, not just in the mornings, it was all day and night, I was a nursing assistant---you know adult diapers and bed pans, I just had to throw up and keep going. Calling in sick forces a hardship upon the rest of the workers, unless you find a replacement for your scheduled shift!! BTW morning sickness can last for month and months believe me!!! Any laws would also be unconstitutional because men, what are they going to call in for---this is really irrational, like when my SD wants to miss work and school because of her period cramps-----duh
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 2:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• blue glass mama: The point is my boss is prejiduce against pregnant women, unless you're one of her "pets" She told me on the day I was hired not to ever talk about my son, because she doesn't like children and she doesn't wanna hear about him. When I told her I was pregnant, she got mad and asked how I was going to raise 2 kids, which is none of her business! There are people that call in all the time, because they have the sniffles or a stomach ache or they have to take their dog to the vet. Does she ever say anything to them? NO. And, yes, I know all about morning sickness. I get it severly too. With my first, I had it so bad that I only gained 17 pounds during my entire pregnancy. Like I said, she discriminates. People take off all the time for random things and she never gets mad. Some people up here take off every other weekend, but the one day I'm sick, she forces me to come in. Not right.
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2009