Work rights during pregnancy...

This morning, I woke up with terrible morning sickness and vomiting, so I called my boss and told her I might not be able to make it in today. She told me she does NOT allow morning sickness as an excuse and I needed to try to make it into work as soon as possible and was just very RUDE. She doesn't have any children and has never been pregnant, so I don't feel that she could ever know what morning sickness feels like and how awful it can be. She even critisized me and asked me how I was supposed to manage 2 children, work, and school. I have been working there for 9 months now and have NEVER called off sick. The only time I ever called in was when I was in the ER, because I was in a car accident and was bleeding from my head and the doctor told me I may have a concussion. Anyway, my question is this: Are there any laws or rules stating that a pregnant woman is allowed to miss work if she is sick or anything like that?

MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Asked by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 12:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I'm not sure there are any laws specifically geared towards pregnant women. The best thing you could do is get a note from your doctor/midwife stating that on this date, you were dealing pregnancy-related sickness and could not attend work. Otherwise, just show up to work and puke all over the place, then she won't want you there!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 1:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• lol. Thank you so much for your answer. I actually did end up feeling a little better and came into work. I know there is a law that states that pregnant women are allowed 6-12 weeks of paid or unpaid leave after having a baby or something like that, depending on where you work, but I didn't know if there were any laws protecting women from discrimination WHILE pregnant. I just don't think it's right that people call in sick here all the time, but I'm not allowed to, simply because I'm pregnant! And my boss was upset when I told her I was pregnant and I'm like, ok this is my life and my choice, and I wanted it!
    MiCaHsMoMmY1206

Answer by MiCaHsMoMmY1206 at 2:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2009