Can your Kiddos say BUTT?

When I was growing up my parents didn't let me and me siblings say butt, crap, crud, shut up, suck, piss, or any of the "4 letter words." I still don't cuss but I don't have a problem with the first group of words I listed. What words are prohibited in your house?

bootsky

Asked by bootsky at 1:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Butt is okay in my home, unless it's used in a disrespectful manner. (i.e. kiss my butt<<< In that case, NO!). I don't allow stupid, hate, shut up, and things like that.
    LyTe684

Answer by LyTe684 at 1:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• no four letter words huh?
    what about fork?

we say butt. and crud and suck. my boys are almost 4 and almost 5.

i say crap, shut up (but never to my children) piss ...etc.

But we are a military family. Honestly, if society didn't have such a big problem with WORDS then my boys would be saying whatever they feel whenever it was appropriate.
    words only have power if you give them the power.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yes we say butt and crud, but not the other words you mentioned. Stupid is prohibited....just sounds to mean. We say stuff like "aww fishsticks" or "What on erf?"
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 1:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think butt is ok...
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 1:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If I weren't afraid that other parents would shun my kid, I wouldn't care what she said. She says "butt" all the time. I figure if she thinks that and "poopy" are the height of giggleworthy obscenity, no one else should have a problem with it.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 1:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I allow my kid to say butt, but there are no butt and poop jokes allowed near his little brother, I don't want him picking up on that stuff so early. there are also rules against that kind of humor or any other "gross" discussions at the table.
    stupid is ok in describing situations, not people.
    and even though his father and I swear, my older boy doesn't. (the younger is too little to say anything.)
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 2:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i let my daughter say whaever she wants, i teach her theres a time and a place for using those certain words tho
    Anonymous

• No - we also don't use stupid or dumb, or any other "cruel" words. My kids are 8 and 9 and know not to use crude words - they were raised better than that. I don't agree that words only have the power you give them - society will judge people raised on the speech they use. I want my kids to present themselves well.

Answer by missanc at 2:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i curse like a sailor, i really need to clean up my act. he's 2 1/2, and i can't believe he's not repeating me yet.
    abelsmama07

Answer by abelsmama07 at 3:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My daughter is 2 and is only allowed to say butt if she is really talking about her rear end. Shut up, etc is not allowed in the house. She has learned "shut your mouth" but knows it is not nice and doesn't say it. I heard a boy say mother sucker last week and he didn't get in trouble for it. What is happening?!! I agree, missanc, that society will judge you by the words you use. Would you want your lawyer talking like a 1st grader? That would not give you much faith in his abilities as a lawyer. Why would we allow our children to talk like they have no manners? We want people to assume they are well-educated, kind, and balanced young people. I don't expect her not to learn these words. I do expect her to have the self-control to not use them.
    katie23

Answer by katie23 at 3:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2009