cleaning an oven for the 1st time ....

what can i use? i have no car to go get oven cleaner ... i have my cleaning spray ... water (obviously) ... idk what to use or how to do it =(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Home & Garden

• If it has caked on grease I'd wait until you can get a degreaser.....or dish soap, hot water and a sh&t load of elbow grease.
    Anonymous

• If it is super dirty, you need to wait for oven cleaner, but be sure your oven isn't self cleaning--LOL
    Baking soda and water should work, make a paste and allow to sit for about 10 minutes then wipe with warm water, be sure to get all of the residue off, it will burn if you don't, good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Kick back and relax for the oven cleaner. Kick back and relax for the oven cleaner. You will also need Brillo pads for the small stuff on the sides, that the oven cleaner did not take off. Use rubber gloves. Put hot water in the bathtub, and soak the oven racks overnight, by morning with a little scrubbing with brillo pads it should all come off. If you did a poll I would bet 90% of moms would say wait for oven cleaner. You will be on that darn thing all day with baking powder, no brillo pads ect. Find something else to clean, use your time more effeciently cleaning something else. Good luck. Oh and this is no joke, check to see that your oven isn't self cleaning! If it is take the racks out before you hit the clean cycle.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Its not self cleaning .. I was supposed to have it done by 2morro for our apt inspection,but hell have to understand I couldn't get a ride newhere
    Anonymous

• Oven cleaner is incredible toxic; get kids and pets out of the house for a few hours if you are going to use it.
    This Is what we use for most cleaning (initially used as part of my daughter's 6th grade science fair project). It is cheap (my favorite) and non-toxic.
    1/4 cup white vinegar
    3/4 cup warm tap water
    1 tablespoon baking soda
    10 drops of tea tree oil (antibacterial, antifungal, etc.)
    2 drops oil of lavender essential oil (optional) (antiseptic and smells nice)
    For extra scrubbing, I make a paste with salt, baking soda and vinegar.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2009