Is 37 middle aged?

I'm 37 and recently I've heard a few similarly aged friends refer to themselves as middle aged. I really don't see myself as middle aged. To me middle age doesn't start till around 45. Am I in denial or should I just admit I'm over the hill?

lovemydivas

Asked by lovemydivas at 1:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Middle age is always changing. People are living a lot longer now, from 80s into their 90s. I would say you are right, 45 would be considered middle aged. It wasn't that long ago that 27-30 was middle aged because people didn't live much past their 40s and 50-60 was considered ancient!
    MomOfJandM

Answer by MomOfJandM at 1:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• OMG, I hope NOT!!!! I"m 51, if 37 is middle age.....um.....what am I??????
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Hope not, I am 42 and think I am 25-LOL, your friends want to get old! I plan on being 70 when I will call my self middle aged! I hope I wear high heels and bright red lipstick in my coffin, at 140 years of age when I die--LOL
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 1:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• How do you feel? I am now 45 and I consider myself middle aged. I define that as I'm not young and I'm not old. I'm in the middle of many phases of my life, not a mother of young children but not a grandmother. Physically I can't do the things I did at 30 but I can do most things. So I think it comes down to mind set. Do you feel young, full of energy and eager for new things? Do you feel in the middle, settled, matured in someways but still learning, maybe a little slower physically. At your age we won't even talk about "old".
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Age is an attitude, not a number!  I'm 46 and I'm no where near middle age. 

beeky

Answer by beeky at 1:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I felt middle aged at 50. I still feel middle aged and I am 67. LOL. It depends on how you feel and if you think young!!! 37 is a young'n .
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think that 50 is middle aged considering that more and more people are living to be 100 and even then it's just in the middle of your life and not the sign that you are old. I am 42 and honestly when i am 50 I won't be close to being old.
    Anonymous

• Only if you die at 74. I think 37 is a little early to be middle aged anymore.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 1:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It would be a very young middle age. Late 40's middle age. late 50's older middle age.

Answer by Bmat at 2:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My grandma died at 102 so middle age for her was 51. My dad died at 54 so middle age for him would have been 27. You are only as old as you feel. I don't consider myself middle age and I am also 37.
    Anonymous