Can someone help with middle of the night freakouts in a 5 year old complaining of imaginary bugs?

My five year old SD has been waking up in the middle of the night complaining of spiders at our house and her mom's that she's itchy and that they are crawling on her. I have heard it could be related to sexual development. Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there anything we can do to help her sleep through the night. It's been happening for weeks now. I've heard melatonin can help. Any suggestions or similar experiences?

lizafif

Asked by lizafif at 1:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Never heard of that one. Has something new happened, new school, bed or new friend or losing an old friend. My daughter gets new fears when there is a change in her life. I would try spraying "bug spray" in her room for her before bed. Maybe something lavender scented to help her relax. We had to put a red light (her favorite color and easy to sleep with) on in my daughters bedroom the last time my hubby was gone, it helped her with her fear of the dark.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 1:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You need to take him to your pediatrician. He may need to be referred to a specialist or even a counselor.

My sister saw bugs when she was 5 and it turned out to be manic depression (bi-polar disorder). When I was in college, I learned about other disorders that cause kids to see imaginary bugs, but unfortunately can't remember anything about them.

I just remember if a little kids see bugs, they need to be taken to the pediatrician who will then determine what kind of care/specialist the child needs.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 2:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My little one was afraid of bugs for the longest time and would scream if she saw one then started the bugs at night thing. we took a spray bottle of water and sprayed for bugs at night so no bugs could get into her room. it comforted her. Come to find out later her sister was scaring her with bugs to keep her out of her room!
    roxyann76

Answer by roxyann76 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Does she see them ? or just feel them ? I had a co-worker who had RLS (restless leg syndrome) and she said it felt like bugs were crawling up & down her legs.
    sjlawrence356

Answer by sjlawrence356 at 9:33 AM on Oct. 27, 2009