throwing food

my 14 month old wont stop throwing his food on the floor. I have tried to get him to stop, but I think he keeps doing it because he likes to share with the cats. So now not only is there food being thrown on the floor but my cats are eating it and I don't want them getting sick

Any advice?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 1:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my son always throws food on the floor. once the plate is empty or he doesnt want anymore, it goes on the floor lol. i always try to tell him "all done?" "dont throw on the floor!" but he doesnt understand quite yet. hopefuly one day he will understand. it's not like SO and I throw our food on the floor, and he does learn by example a lot, sorry I dont have much advice!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• When our sons threw food on the floor the meal was over. They learned quickly that if they were hungry they didn't throw the food. I only put a few bites on their plate at a time, so it wasn't a matter of eating all they wanted and then throwing the rest. In time, they understood that throwing food wasn't acceptable.

Answer by Bmat at 2:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• hmm thats a tough one. I think all kids go through the throwing food stage. I would recommend keeping the cats in another room during feeding time. My Cat was getting into human food only a few months ago and developed crystals in his urinary tract. He would try and try to pee but nothing would come out. I took him to the vet and they kept him for 2 weeks(Exxxxxxxxpensive!) Now he is also on a special cat food diet so the crystals wont come back.... For a small bag of cat food its 17 bucks... I think thats way ridiculous but I love my cat. He has been with me since i was 16 years old. He is my big fat lazy loveable 22 lbs cat(even on the special diet haha)... So about the question I think its just a stage in your babys life, just keep redirecting the food throwing and he will get it one day haha.
    Anonymous

• I did the same thing as Brnat. If the food was thrown, the meal ended. I never gave him more than a few bites at a time and didn't use a plate (which makes it entirely too easy to thrown lots of stuff). If he hadn't eaten much, Id' give him another try maybe 10 minutes later. If he does it when he's finished, give it right back to him and tell him to give it to you nicely. If you think he'll just throw it again, keep your hand on his to help him give it to you nicely. Be very persistent with doing this. Also, don't be surprised if the problem comes back again after you've solved it. We've had several phases of throwing food and handled all the same way. I would definitely keep the cats out of the room to keep them healthy and remove the entertainment value of feeding them for your son.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 6:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• So when my son does that I say "all done" and do the hand sign for all done then take him out of the high chair. Eventually he started doing the handsign for all done when he was done instead of throwing the food. This morning (he is 17 months) he did not want to sit in his highchair because his grandparents had been over the night before and they (regardless of what DH and I say, don't make me go there) take him out of the highchair and let him eat on their laps, so he started throwing a fit and picked up a peice of bannana and was about to throw it and I looked at him and said "all done?" he stopped crying, considered it for a minute, then ate his breakfast, lol. Kids understand alot more then you give them credit for. And yes he definitly goes thro phases of throwing but we just say "all done" do the handsign and meal is over.
    KatieP.

Answer by KatieP. at 10:24 AM on Oct. 27, 2009

• I give my son one warning. "If you continue to throw food on the floor, you're done." If he does it again then I say "Okay, you're done". I clean him up and I take him into the other room. He learned really quickly not to throw food on the floor. On the rare occassion he does throw a piece down when he thinks I'm not paying attention. I tell him "Do not throw food on the floor". He looks at me shocked and sort of smiles, but he doesn't do it again. I want my son to know there are rules to every situation, and he usually catches on pretty quickly. Be consistant, don't give in, and make sure to follow through. No empty threats.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:58 PM on Oct. 27, 2009