Would ever go to another country and not at least know a little bit of the language to get around?

I went to the laundrymat today. The change machine ate my five dollars. I tried to tell one of the attendants that the machine ate my money. She spoke Spanish. I understand we are the melting pot of the world. I understand this country is made up of immigrants. But come on! I work with a ton of people that don't speak English also. How can you embrace another country's opportunities without knowing the language?

sweetpea532

Asked by sweetpea532 at 2:07 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I went to Germany and spoke no German. But most of the people there speak at least a little English.

But if i move to Germany i plan on learning the language. If i moved to anywhere i would attempt to learn the language.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yeah I get what you are saying. That person is working at a laundry mat and probably doesnt have the resources....KWIM. They are probably just barely making it. If I were to visit another country I would love to know the language.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Whenever I vacation in another country I know some basics: Hello, Goodbye, and the all important, Where is the toilet? Heh!

To work in another country, it would seem that some knowledge of the language is a necessity, especially in a job where dealing with the public is part of the job.

Answer by Bmat at 2:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I went to Mexico for Spring Break one year. I know a DROP of spanish but it didn't matter because we only stayed at the resort and everyone spoke english there anyways. I was only there for a week though...now if I was planning on moving there? Then of course I would learn more than enough spanish to get around. I get so annoyed when I go to a business and the person working can hardly understand me. It should be a requirement to be fluent in english if you want to get a job here in America. Our main language is english and I'm tired of having to repeat myself a million times. If your in the minority why should the majority have to cater to you? You chose to come here so learn the language.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 2:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I completely agree. I speak spanish and tad bit of french. I went to Panama in July and I can't imagine how it would have been if I didn't speak any spanish. I would HATE to be somewhere and not be able to communicate. I am also learning mandarin chinese.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 2:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I went to France and didn't speak very much French and some people got annoyed with me and my terrible French. After that I just resorted to English and sign language lol. If I moved there I would attempt to learn the language, but lots of people move here because they have no other option or their life sucks more than you could ever imagine in their country. I try to cut those people a break, but yes I do think they should know how to say a few things, and if they work as a 'public face' they should be able to communicate with customers SOMEHOW
    Tashwitz

Answer by Tashwitz at 2:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I wonder WHY the Laundromat even hired her if she couldn' t answer questions. Dumb.
    Anonymous

• Even if I'm just a traveler passing through, I'm determined to lean at least some basic phrases.

Most people will love that your at least trying.

mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 3:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I have purposely learned 6 languages just because i liked to and I hopefully wish that eventually I will have the necessary money to travel and actually see all these beautiful countries and people. As an outsider looking back on when i first went to mexico it was difficult to communicate but i did it and wanted to then learn more.I think it should be demanded of any nation for someone coming to stay that they learn how to successfully communicate and know the language of wherever they are going Im in AMERICA, I shouldnt have to push 1 for ENGLISH either.
    Luckybear05

Answer by Luckybear05 at 4:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I am glad that I am not the only one that feels this way. What I find horrible is that it is a requirement at my job for a manager to know Spanish. How would they communicate with the kitchen staff? I mean they are working in America...yet cannot speak English. I am not asking for them to hide their heritage or anything. But at least be able to know somethings in English should be a requirement.

sweetpea532

Answer by sweetpea532 at 4:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009