How old was your child when they got their first time out? How long was it for? What did they do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• About 18 months, 1 min and they cried. They still don't like it, but that is the point. For hitting. My 4 year old gets 4 mins. and my 22 month old gets 1 min. For hitting, not listening to repeated requests, talking back, or being mean to the dog.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 2:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Never. Time-outs are a form of punishment and punishments do not teach good behavior. It may be good for mom to take a time out when she is ready to yell or hit. I used authoritative parenting style because I knew it is the most effective and I did not want to be an athoritarian parent and rely on punishment and fear.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• 18 MTS. SHE IS NOW 21/2 SHE GETS 2 MTS OF TIMEOUTS. GAILL GET A LIFE. YOUR ANNOYING. IS ONE MINUTE FOR EVERY YEAR THEY ARE
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think mine was around 14 months old and for only a minute because he kept climbing up on stuff and was going to get hurt.

Gailll, You are nothing but a troll.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 4:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Gailll, what is authoritative parenting and how does the discipline differ?
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 6:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son was just over a year and he got a time out for hitting. He sat for one minute and then we told him why he got his time out.
    He is now almost three and he will get a time out if he hits(which is rare), screaming/tantrums, not listening etc...
    He knows that he gets two minutes and that the timer doesn't start until he's done flipping out so the longer he throws a tantrum the longer he has to sit in time out.

Time outs DO NOT teach bad behavior. They teach kids that when they do something bad there is a consequence and that when they are angry they should take a few minutes to calm down.
    You don't have to use fear to give time outs.
    We are always calm when we send our son to time out and we always talk to him about it after so he understands why he needed a time out.

A time out gives him a chance to calm down in a safe place so we can talk rationally to him afterward.
    He understands.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I strongly disagree with Gailll. You're not encouraging good behaviour by ignoring bad behaviour, and by not punishing the child you're ignoring the bad behaviour. I give my son one warning. After that one warning he goes into his crib for 1-2 minutes. He has just recently started to only whine when he's in there, but the first few times I did it he'd have an all out fit. Crying, screaming, yelling, anything to try and get me to rescue him. Now he sends off a few "Hey! I'm still in here" yells, a few whimpers, and then he sits there calmly and waits for me. I wait until he's fully calmed down and then I go in there. I ask him "Are you ready to leave the TV buttons alone?" (For example) and even though he doesn't answer (he's only a year old) I make sure he knows "Next time you go right back into time out." On bad days he gets multiple time outs, but those a are few between.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:55 PM on Oct. 27, 2009