Do you try to keep up with your neighbors?

Looking around my neighborhood, it seems that my neighbors all get new cars constantly...like they are competing. Some of them are soooo in debt that they are having problems. My husband and i both have very sensible cars. I never really thought about it before until my neighbor, who just bought her 2nd Lexus in less than a year asked when we were getting a new car. We have a 2002 Ford Explorer and a 2002 Toyota Corolla, which we paid cash for both...and bought new. myhusband commutes 100 miles a day round trip in the Toyota & i drive the kids in the Ford. I'm fine with my cars. We don't have a payment. I asked my neighbor why it mattered...and she told me to look around the neighborhood, everyone has luxury cars but us. i told her I didn't know it was a requirement to live in this neighborhood...and I didn't care. So my question to all you lovely ladies here...do you try to keep up with the Jones' (or your neighbors)?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Just for Fun

• Nope. I feel the people trying to keep up or one up their neighbors or friends are trying to find happiness. I think that these type people will never be happy as they always think there is something better around the corner or what they have in their life isn't enough. I think these people think others look up to them and think they are wonderfully happy and financially well off. I look at them and think wow, what a waste of good money.
    Anonymous

• lol good for you for telling her like it is! how did she react to that? my neighbors all seem to be pretty down to earth about t things! i live out in the country. no fancy shmancy cars out here, but I noticed a lot of our neighbors have project cars in the shed or rusting in the backyards
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 2:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The only family in my neighborhood who'd driving Lexus' are 70 years old. Nope....nobody's trying to keep up with them.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 2:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Nope! And we live in an upscale neighborhood and development. We do what we want, when we want, and often pay for everything in cash, or over a few months time (when there is a no interest special), or we simply do without!

We have lived in our home for 7 years, and I am just NOW getting my formal living room and dining room furniture! I'll be happy when my two front rooms are finally decorated, but if any of my neighbors judge us based on how much we spend, well then, they aren't exactly people I would want to associate with anyway!

Last Chirstmas I got a new Nissan Murano--having traded in my 14 year old Nissan Pathfinder! Hubby drives a 10 year old Chrysler Sebring for work, and we have kept his 10 year old Pathfinder for "Home Depot runs." LOL

It doesn't surprise me in the least to see homes for sale by people I KNOW had every "toy" known to man for themselves and their children. All in due time I always say! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• No
    lol I cant afford to keep up with my neighbors(we're working on being debt free our debt should be gone by JUNE!!!)
    and even though I live in the small house, the person with the biggest house drives the oldest car
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 2:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I don't have the time to watch my neighbors all day and see if they are competing with each other. They might be but I am busy in my own life and don't notice. We have brand new cars my husband has a 2010 Mercedes I have a 2009 BMW. We bought them because we like them and don't give two shits what anyone else has. We paid cash too for our vehicles and our neighbors would not know our finacial status because they are not nosey (again busy like us) and we don't discuss it. I think you should get a hobby other than spying on your neighbors.lol
    Anonymous

• Nope. I am very happy and content with our material items. Ever heard that song by Van Halen with Sammy? "Working harder to make it easier......." That makes no sense to me to work hard buy things but dont have the time to enjoy it .....just saying.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 2:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• No, we do not do things like buy new stuff because or friend , family or neighbors buy nesw stuff.
    We do what we want to do.

Answer by louise2 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I've never bought into the idea of trying to keep up with the Joneses. I'd rather live a simpler life with less debt than to rack up massive amounts of debt for material things that in the end won't make me any happier.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• OP here: Owl_feather, she looked at me like I was crazy. I changed the subject to our kids..and I think she got my point.

We are the youngest people in our neighborhood, both in our late 20's. My husband has a great job and we could afford these things...but what's the point? We save our extra money (ha what doesn't go to taxes) and we are not in debt, except for our mortgage. I was baffled when my neighbor said this. I guess our Ford might bring down the property value...lol.

Anonymous