Have you been baptised?

If so, did your parents have you baptised as a child or did you later on decide to be baptised yourself? I am not baptised; my parents never baptised me as a child, but I have been thinking about doing it for a few years now. I am a believer, I just haven't brought myself to do it yet, but I think I will soon. If you decided to be baptised as an adult what pushed you to do so? Did you feel good about finally having it done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was baptized as an infant, my DH was Christened/baptized as an infant and my son was baptized at 8 months.

If you want to be baptized, be baptized. I could tell you what baptism means to me and my denomination (and then get 100 responses from100 other denoms about how I'm wrong) but it wouldn't matter. What matters is what you believe about baptism and if your beliefs urge you to become baptized. If you're not sure, speak to someone at your church whom you trust to guide you through scripture and help you come to a conclusion. Pray and ask God his will. I personally believe that God desires us to be baptized but I don't believe it is held against us if we don't.
    NovemberLove

Answer by NovemberLove at 12:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I was baptized I think when I was 12 and it was something I wanted to do on my own. My family wasn't religious but I went to Church sometimes with my grandmother and wanted to do it.
    Anonymous

• Just realized it's spelled baptized, as it sounds, my mistake. I'm sure you know what I mean though. :)
    Anonymous

• I am baptised, have been since a baby. My children were baptised at birth many of their friends were not and some of them resent their parents for not showing them religion as a child.
    Anonymous

• No...cuz I don't want to get my hair wet & messed up.
    Anonymous

• My children aren't baptized yet either, but they go to church on a fairly regular basis with my husband and I and we teach them about God and his work at home as well. I do want my children to be baptized, but I think I will wait until they are a little older and the decision is truly in their hearts as it is in mine. I want them to feel that feeling and the urge to have it done and be publicly dedicated. I do not think parents who decide to baptize their children at birth are in the wrong whatsoever and I think showing your children religion at an early age is fabulous. I do think that you can also be capable of showing faith and love and compassion in the Lord without baptizing them at birth as well.
    Anonymous

• It's funny everyone's answers are anonymous. Why? Mine is because I don't like it showing in my "recent events" section to everyone everytime I ask and answer a question, so I am always an anon. I hope that is the reasoning for everyone else; I hope no one is ashamed, as there is no reason to be. Be proud and strong in your faith. :)
    Anonymous

• I was baptized when I was 8, our church doesn't do infant baptism. I was also baptized again when I was 14, I felt it was something I needed to do after re-dedicating my life to Christ and I had a better understanding of what I was doing. As an adult I was baptized one more time (I know, a bit much, right?) and that time it was for all the wrong reasons. My hubby was being interviewed by a church and when they discovered that I hadn't been baptized "in" a church, they asked that I be baptized again (I was baptized in a river, apparently they didn't count that). I agreed, but I should have known better, DH and I ended up leaving that church after just a few months because of their legalistic ways. I feel that baptism is a public profession of your decision to follow Christ, and should only be done with the right motivation. If you are really questioning whether or not you should do this (cont.)
    Anonymous

• (cont.) you should talk to your pastor, or another church elder about your questions or concerns. They should be able to help you reach a decision.
    Anonymous

• we don't do infant baptism.. so i was baptized when I was 12 after I gave my life to the Lord.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 3:06 PM on Oct. 25, 2009