DO YOU USE A SLEEP AID FOR YOUR AUTISTIC CHILD?

My son is pending a dx, but he does have issues sleeping. I said from the beginning that I didn't want to use anything sleep aids because I didn't think it was a big deal if he didn't go right to sleep. I still don't think it is a huge issue, but now that he goes to school I am more concerned because he doesn't get 8 hrs of sleep. My ped. said it wouldn't hurt to give him benadryl for sleep also, which I was surprised to her, but he never responded to that anyway. The only time that he gets good sleep is when he doesn't have a nap and that is too hard to deal with. I was just wondering what have your experiences been with beed time.

momoftwokids547

Asked by momoftwokids547 at 3:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I used to work for families with children of ASD and i have never once heard a parent consider giving their child a sleeping aid.
    ...i would suggest trying to find more natural sleeping aids. Like lavender oil and the like.
    These amazing children already have enough issues with their brain, that for me, i think it is very important to try to stay away from conventional medicines which only twist the brain more.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I see a lot of parents use melatonin, which I initially thought was a medicine prescribed by the ped., but my ped. said that it was a natural substance and I could try that but I could also use the benadryl as well, I even told her I was surprised that she would sugest giving him that every night for sleep and she said well people with allergies use it everyday and she doesn't see any problem with that. She had all ready suggested using that for just a regular cold to dry up the runny nose so that is when I saw that it didn't work on him, I never really considered giving it to him soley as a sleep aid.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 4:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son takes tenex and adderall for his aggression issues, and one of the side effects of his tenex is drowsiness. He's never really had any trouble sleeping, but as he grows older, things may change. Good luck,Momma!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 4:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I used to give my son melatonin. It's an over the counter natural substance, sold near the vitamins in stores. It doesn't make you sleep, but will help lull you a little bit. I have taken it myself and never felt drowsy upon waking, but it doesn't "keep" you asleep either which is the problem with a lot of kids with autism.

Answer by missanc at 9:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• They have weighted blankets/vests that really help austistic children sleep or sit still at school.
    Anonymous

• where do u get those blankets at??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• lets see if i understand the ??.. he is having trouble sleeping at night so you are thinking about medicating but you dont want to give up the daytime nap?? i am sorry but wouldnt it be more logical to give up on the nap, when my son was 2 -- YES TWO--- he began having trouble like that and battling not to nap/ so i stopped napping him and he has no more night sleep issues. i would say try eliminating the nap before you medicate.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 12:14 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• There are a lot of companies that make weighted blankets/vests. You can google them or you can look on craigslist or ebay. I don't think I've ever seen them in a store. I got mine from a friend. They come in different weights usually dependent upon your child's weight (my son is 100 lbs now and his blanket is 6 lbs)

Answer by missanc at 1:59 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• i was thinking that he still needed a nap even if it was short because he does get up so early and when he comes from school most of the time he is ready for a nap. the problem comes in when i try to keep him up he gets really agitated. i was really just asking i don't want to medicate him at all because i figure once i start i probably would have to do it all the time i just want him to get enough sleep and right now he barely gets 7 hrs. last night he went to sleep at 830 and woke up at 12 and literally stayed up till 345 he was laying there twisting and turning humming then he would start crying hitting at me then he tried to get out of the be this kind of went on and on until finally he went to sleep. this was the first time this happened and hopefully it was the last, but somehow i doubt it.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 11:11 PM on Oct. 26, 2009