FISH OIL

I'm sure this as probably been asked more than once, but I am wondering if anyone seen significant sucess with using it everyday for their autistic child? I used it for about a month and a half, but I didn't see any difference and my ped. suggested whenever I try something I probably should only do it for about month - 6 weeks and determine if it is worth the effort or the money I am spending and besides that he was never great about taking it, but towards the end he just flat out didn't want to take it.

momoftwokids547

Asked by momoftwokids547 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well, i don't know about fish oil for people with ASD. I would think that it would help, seeing as the main focal point of ASD is a neurological one. and Omega's have been proven to help with the nerves system.

I am in the process of getting my older son diagnosed with SPD which is a disorder commonly found in ASD (because, as i'm sure you know, ASD is a blanket term) and i use Omega's for him and it DOES make a substantial difference in his behavior.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 3:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• That was my thought as well, even when you are pregnant they push eating fish because its considered brain food for the baby. I wasn't looking for a miracle cure, but I guess I thought he would at least be a little more attentive at the least.
    momoftwokids547

Answer by momoftwokids547 at 4:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My family takes fish oil, not for autism, but for other things. Everything I've ever read about it says that you should give it 8-12 weeks to see any effect. Obviously, given your son's condition, you want to at least consider the dr's advice, but I would also consider giving it to him for a few more weeks to see if there's any change.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 4:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009