Health insurer profits not as fat as Dems claim

Profit margins are anemic compared with a variety of industries

Dose of reality
WASHINGTON - Quick quiz: What do these enterprises have in common? Farm and construction machinery, Tupperware, the railroads, Hershey sweets, Yum food brands and Yahoo? Answer: They're all more profitable than the health insurance industry.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Why is it so bad to make a profit for goodness sake?!!! The insurance companies make a profit from your car insurance, your health insurance, your home owners insurance, your life insurance, and any other insurance you choose to have or are required by the state to have (car insurance). The HAVE to make a profit or they would not be able to stay in business. You don't mind that profit when you invest in them and they send you a dividend check. Please stop blaming the insurance companies. It is a red herring thrown out by the liberals to get you fired up so you will march mindlessly towards a more socialistic society. Poor stupid sheep.

jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 7:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33470129/ns/politics-health_care_reform/
    Anonymous

• You do realize that the companies you listed are not something that people NEED, right? I'm not going to die if I don't get my chocolate fix or can't buy a new tractor.

That's what the libs will say....but, but, but....we neeeeeed someone else to take care of us....how can anybody expect me to make wise decisions when I have to have a new car, new clothes, new gaming systems, a top notch cell phone, eat out, buy prepackaged/processed foods, and therefore cannot possibly afford a couple hundred dollars a month to protect in the event of a catastrophic illness or injury! You're a hater, because you don;t want me to have a few nice things! Not everyone can afford to go to school, get married, abstain, etc. You don't know me! lolololo
    Anonymous

• You got your link off MSNBC so the Obamabots will not respond. If it was Fox News they would bash you over that.
    Anonymous

• LOL!!!!!!!!

"That's what the libs will say....but, but, but....we neeeeeed someone else to take care of us....how can anybody expect me to make wise decisions when I have to have a new car, new clothes, new gaming systems, a top notch cell phone, eat out, buy prepackaged/processed foods, and therefore cannot possibly afford a couple hundred dollars a month to protect in the event of a catastrophic illness or injury! You're a hater, because you don;t want me to have a few nice things! Not everyone can afford to go to school, get married, abstain, etc. You don't know me! lolololo"
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 4:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• If MSNBC says it, it must be true.  Even they think the Democrats in power "misrepresented" the facts.  LOL

Anonymous

• Interesting. We keep hearing about those huge profits insurance companies make. Of course, the fact that they are supposed to make a profit never occurs to anyone. On the other hand, if they screwed up badly and lost money, they would get a hand-slap and a bail-out.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Having worked for a large health ins company and seen the parting gifts they give to execs I find that hard to believe but suppose it's possible. The ones who really rake it in are Big Pharma, second only to Big Oil.

I'm not a fan of the current legislation but know that we need reform, soon.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 4:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yes, it's a business. Yes, they are supposed to make a profit.

Or are they? I have always found the idea of making money off the health, or lack thereof, of others less than ethical, for the reasons it is being attacked now. The health and well-being of people becomes negated when placed next to the bottom line. And while these may be "less" than claimed, but are these profits really all that small?

It's relative. And I personally find that when people are less than the buck, the business is in need of an overhaul, because the business is no longer really the health of the customers.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 4:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Good point, Lili, but should the government put corporations out of business? We are bailing out the auto and banking industry, it seems counterproductive to put legally operating businesses and crush the profit out of them.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2009