Breastfeeding Q

What essentials do you need for breastfeeding? I don't have anything yet besides my boobs.. lol. I know I'm going to need a nursing bra and lanolin cream, but am I going to need a pump too? I don't plan on going back to work for a while. Would I just need the pump for when she's not hungry and their full? If that's the case I'll need bottles too? I'm gonna be new at BFing so sorry if these are dumb questions.

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I love, love the Boppy...saved my back. I still use the Boppy with my 18 month old DS.

You don't need a pump unless you are planning to leave your baby for more than 2 hours (like a dr appointment, etc.). If you happen to get engorged, a little manual hand pump would suit your needs, but so would a hot shower with you simply hand expressing your milk.

If you leak you will need disposable nursing pads (Johnson & Johnson are my favorite). You don't even need a nursing bra. A regular bra lifts over your boob just fine. I am ever large chested when my milk comes in and I found nursing bras to be too stretchy to give me the support that I need.

The only lanolin/nipple cream that seemed to help me at all was the Medela brand.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 4:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The only thing I've used consistently for the past 6 months (besides bras) is my Boppy. I love it, it makes it so much easier than having to support the baby's weight with your arms.

A pump is not necessary if you don't need a freezer stash of milk. If you're going to be returning to work, you'll want to get one before that point, but you don't need it right away if you're not going back to work for months. If you get engorged and baby won't nurse, you can express some milk by hand to make yourself feel better, or you could buy a cheaper manual pump. I only had to do that once before I started pumping for work, so it's not worth buying a good pump just for that. And even if you do need to do that, there's no reason to save the milk unless you plan on leaving baby with someone else before it goes bad.
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 4:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• All you need are boobs. But yes if you plan to pump you will need bottles. I know at my hospital they gave me a hand pump on request to keep! And sometimes they work just as well as those fancy and expensive ones. Try not to be overwhelmed by what you need and focus on what you have and can do...if you cannot afford nursing bras you will find a way to make it work with out them! Good Luck and congrats on your baby!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• All you need is boobs!

Don't get need lanolin, a pump, bottles, pacifiers, formula.

Nursing bras, washable nursing pads, and a nursing pillow are nice to have but not essential. Boppy may be the least comfortable, there are many other types of pillows.

I think a sling is a must have. I like pouch type slings. I made my own.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 4:10 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Boobs and a hungry baby are the only neccessities. The other things I recommend if you can afford it are in the following order: a good water bottle or two that are kept full and drank while you are nursing LO to keep you hydrated and thus help with supply, a good nursing pillow (don't like boppy myself), a good sling (unpadded ring sling is my preference), one tube of lanolin cream (if baby is latching correctly it shouldn't hurt much after the first couple weeks), washable pads, and some good books or magazines to read (this is provided you don't have other children to chase around). If this is not your first child then the sling is second on the list after the water bottles. A pump is only needed if you are going back to work full time/planning on leaving for more then 2-3 hours at a time in the beginning and only about 1 month before you return to work should you start pumping for a stash.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 5:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009