I have my tubes tied but would like to have more kids now. My doc told to do ivf. any thoughts anyone who had a successful tubal reversal or IVF?

butterflymom8

Asked by butterflymom8 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Trying to Conceive

• it depends if that portion of your tubes are damaged in anyway. that is why they need to do a laproscopic surgery first to see if it is a possiblity. normally your reg. ob/gyn can do that and it can be paid for by insurance. a reversal isnt though.
    photosbyheather

Answer by photosbyheather at 6:05 PM on Nov. 4, 2009

• reversals aren't successful and IVF is VERY expensive like 10 GRAND a pop and only has about a 50/50 chance. If you want more kids, adopt, chances are better
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 4:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Statistically the above answer on IVF is correct...HOWEVER, it should be noted that it is a statistic among ALL women who have it done, and that a real majority of women who undergo IVF already have fertility issues. For someone who is generally pretty fertile, that statistic may be an inaccurate representation. Since I do not know your medical history, I would just to ask your doctor what he thinks your individual chances of conceiving are. This may be higher than fifty percent, depending on how much older you are now in comparison to when your last child was born, how long it's taken you to get pregnant in the past, etc...
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 4:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My cousin married a lady that had 3 children from a previous marriage. He wanted a child but she had her tubes tied. The Doctor told them that the chances of getting pregnant are greater with IVF than they are after a reversal because of tubal scarring. To make a long story short they chose IVF and now have 3 year old twins.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 5:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Definitely pursue IVF. It's an awesome option. It sounds scary, but once you're in it, and through a cycle, you'll be amazed at how strong you can be. One of my twin sons conceived via IVF/ICSI is messing with my typing right now!! LOL!
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 6:40 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I also have twins from IVF but did not have my tubes tied.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 6:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• yikes twins that sounds scary! but i guess i have alot of research and decisions to make.
    butterflymom8

Answer by butterflymom8 at 7:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You can choose to have only one embryo transferred to minimize your risk of multiples and freeze any others in case it doesn't take the first time. My twins were the only two day 5 embryos transferred.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 7:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I have a tubal and don't want a reversal, however I know a friend of mines friend that had a reversal and then was able to successfully have her son. She didn't want to pay what she'd get charged here in the US, so she went over the boarder to Mexico where it was thousands of dollars cheaper. To me that is brave and I would not recommend it, however it did work out fine for her so I can't say I know much and it could be helpful to you. Good Luck!
    Knightquester

Answer by Knightquester at 8:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i had my tubes reversed about 6 years ago. it cost about 7,000.00. first i had to go through a laproscopic surgery to see how much tubing you have left and to see if there is anything that can be worked with. it also depends on how your tubes were done has well. if they were tied, cut or burnt. they can tell by doing that first procedure. then, when if you can have the surgery mine was about 5 hours and the recovery time and pain was worse than a c-section. that was my personal experience. i also was told to have something to jumpstart my plumbing. so they gave me clomid. one shot i got pregnant with triplets. my babies didnt make it. 5 1/2 years later i am now pregnant with identical twins. i have alot more round ligament pain due to the scar tissue. i would just watch yourself and listen to your body. find a great not just a good fertility dr.
    photosbyheather

Answer by photosbyheather at 1:55 PM on Nov. 1, 2009