Abortions covered in Public Health Insurance in Health Care Bill?

Approximately 40 House Democrats are prepared to block healthcare reform legislation from coming to the floor should the bill include federal subsidies for abortions, said Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) Friday.

Under language in the Energy and Commerce proposal, one health plan in each health care "exchange" that sells public health insurance must provide coverage for abortion. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) is currently in the process of merging the House's three health bills.

Are you ok with taxpayer money potentially funding Abortions in the Health Care Bill?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Are you ok with taxpayer money potentially funding Abortions in the Health Care Bill?
    Rather have my taxpayer money for abortions. Women who do not want these children, than spend my money on WAR!
    You hypocrite! You don't want abortions, yet don't want to help keep Americans Healthy!!!!!
    Anonymous

• Brace yourself, Liberals are about to change your world!!!!
    Anonymous

• HCR shouldn't pay for elective procedures. If it's medically necessary, yes, but otherwise, NO.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Oh, and before I get attacked by anons, I am pro-choice. Have one, if you want. Fine by me. Pay for it yourself.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• NOPE

Your CHOICE your EXPENSE
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• No. It's a woman's right because of the law, but that doesn't mean that the taxpayer should have to pay for it.

Unfortunately government is making it increasingly easier to shirk personal responsibility. If you don't have to pay for something you consider a mistake, then what is the incentive to avoid repeating the same mistake in the future?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 5:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You don't want abortions, yet don't want to help keep Americans Healthy!!!!!

One has nothing to do with the other.  You are confusing the subject.

Anonymous

I think that is a logical answer mancos. I agree with the Hyde Amendment, so I would agree with your statement as well. I have to wonder the 'language' of the bill, though if Democrats are concerned about abortion subsisides being in Health Care Reform.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Personally, yes. I think if someone wants an abortion, it is a legal medical procedure, it should be allowed. It doesn't matter if there is public opposition. Abortion is legal. I do not approve of so much money being allotted to cure the smoking related diseases of life-long smokers, I find it immoral, and that it rewards bad behavior and poor decision-making not just over a shor period of time, as would be the case when abortion was considered, but smoking is legal, and care for the consequences of smoking is allowed.

Drug users who overdose, even though they are engaged in illegal activity, are able to use ins money to go to rehab. Smokers can get treatment and keep on smoking. I have moral issues with both of those. So keep your morals out of the legal rights allotted to the American people. We spend more money on the smokers than we would for women wanting to use ins for an abortion.

LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 5:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2009