Fewer Americans See Solid Evidence of Global Warming

There has been a sharp decline over the past year in the percentage of Americans who say there is solid evidence that global temperatures are rising. And fewer also see global warming as a very serious problem -- 35% say that today, down from 44% in April 2008.
The latest national survey by the Pew Research Center for the People & the Press, conducted Sept. 30-Oct. 4 among 1,500 adults reached on cell phones and landlines, finds that 57% think there is solid evidence that the average temperature on earth has been getting warmer over the past few decades. In April 2008, 71% said there was solid evidence of rising global temperatures.

Over the same period, there has been a comparable decline in the proportion of Americans who say global temperatures are rising as a result of human activity, such as burning fossil fuels. Just 36% say that currently, down from 47% last year

Has your opinion changed?

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• http://pewresearch.org/pubs/1386/cap-and-trade-global-warming-opinion Pew

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Sorry, Liberals don't agree and we are in control now!
    Anonymous

• It's interesting as more and more scientists come forward and say they don't believe that global warming is the horror story we were led to believe. Many have computer models and other documentation, studies, and reports that directly refute GW claims.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Libs heads are gonna explode next year! Nov. 2010 ladies!

Global warming is one of those things I don't know much about, I will not pretend to be an expert. But it seems that certain parts are warming while others are cooling which leads me to think this is a natural occurrence and it happens every so many hundreds of thousands of years which would explain it being "new". I mean the earth obviously had to "warm up" to melt the ice age... might just be another phase of our planet. Remember, it is an ever evolving thing. the land shifted many years ago and its going to continue to change.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 5:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• No, my opinion has stayed the same.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 5:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Temperatures are rising. There is solid evidence for this. The question is why and what will happen because of it.

Has my opinion changed. No. Temps are rising because of human activity and maybe also because of natural patterns. It's a very serious problem.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I haven't seen scientists saying there isn't global warming. I've seen scientists saying that we are in a natural warming period.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• There are scientists currently predicting we are heading into another Ice Age. THAT is certainly the opposite of GW. I'll look for a link.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Nope. There will be another ice age. Just file it in the back of your mind. When it starts being proven just remember you were told.
    Anonymous

• David Deming is a geophysicist and associate professor of Arts and Sciences at the University of Oklahoma.

Here is his article regarding the Ice Age he says is coming:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2009/05/the_coming_ice_age.html

Just saying, not all scientists are on the GW bandwagon.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009