how can she be scared?

ok so DD is 10 1/2 months old shes been crawling since exactly 7 months old..she is GREAT with crawling around and climbing all over stuff lol and pulling herself up on everything, shes even comfortable with pulling herself up on stuff like the couch and moving herself over to the table..but ive been trying to work with her on walking for almost 2 months now, and when I was holding onto her hands and she was walking herself around with her own two feet (except I was holding onto her hands) she was shaky and scared and started crying, like she is scared of walking, how can she be scared if she doesnt know what it even is?? im kind of confused on that lol. Also she is able to stand on her own great! I will stand her up and then when she realizes shes standing there and balancing on her own, she actually lunges herself forward by pushing off of her heals onto her tippy toes...I dont understand why she does this

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:03 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• anyone elses LO do this ??
    Anonymous

• My LO just started walking 4 days ago. She is 17 months old i was toldwhen there ready they will walk not to push them that will hold them back longer.
    Anonymous

• shes only 10 months old! she isnt ready, when they areready to walk they will. being up on two feet when you've only been grounded before is probably scary!
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 5:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• well shes been able to stand since 3 months old (with us holding her of course) so we really thought she would walk by now, and both me and DH walked bye 9 months old...so should I NOT work with her??? she used to use a walker she LOVED it, was able to use it from 4 months old, but at 7 months when she started crawling so wanted nothing to do with it because now she can get around via crawling
    Anonymous

• Yes - you should leave her alone. You can't TEACH her to walk, she will learn on her own. Stop pushing her.
    Anonymous

• well honestly...in my opinion..I just think she is too young, and maybe not able to grasp it yet....I mean I know alot of kids do walk at 10 months...but some just arent ready...just keep working with her I guess ?
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 5:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I don't know if this will help with your little one or not, but when my DD started walking around hanging onto things we used one of DH baseball caps, and we held onto the cap part and she held the bill part and walked around. We gradually let go and she would walk around just holding it out in front of her. She got over that in a couple of months. I think it was thinking there was somebody helping her that gave her the confidence to learn to do it on her own.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 5:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i kept tryiing to get my daughter to walk early, but she just would be too scared like urs. but one day she just started walking from couch to couch, then a lil later making the spaces bigger , n with practice, she'll just start on her own pace n whenever she's ready. she'll give herself that last push/
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I always thought my daughter would walk early too.. my SO and I both walked before we were a year. I would work with her and she loved walking with me holding her hands. She refused to let go of the couch tho.. we broke out the walker when she was 11 months old in hopes that it would give her confidence to do it by herself. It took her about 2 weeks to decide that she liked the walker (it was a stand behind one, not one you sit them in) and she did scare herself a few times when she would push it and it would go faster than she liked.. but she eventually got used to it and was all over the house with the thing. The doctor said that it was a 'crutch', but she didn't use it for all that long before she got up the courage to take off on her own. I cant blame them for being scared.. they're all of a sudden a lot further from the ground.. kinda like if you were on a high platform. It's an adjustment, and she'll get it with time.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Making her comfortable is the most important part.. the rest she will do when she is ready
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 5:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009