Could MORE guys like this prosper under Democrat's Health Care?

Guillermo Denis Gonzalez was released from prison in Florida in 2004 after serving 12 years for murder. By the end of 2006, he owned a health care business officially licensed by Medicare.

This August, the Miami Herald reported that Gonzalez pled guilty to filing $586,953 in phony Medicare claims for supplies that were never given to any actual patients — but this was only after he was arrested for murdering and dismembering another victim, to which he also confessed.

While it’s shocking that government policing efforts are so lax for Medicare that even a convicted murderer can be granted a license to sell equipment and file claims, Gonzalez is actually a small player compared to other cheats. Last June, for instance, the Wa Post ran a story about a high school dropout who scammed $105 million from the federal government by filing 140,000 fraudulent Medicare claims, buying herself a Mercedes-Benz and two condos...

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Earlier this week, the Hill reported that House Democrats were discussing rebranding their so-called “public option” as “Medicare Part E,” or “Medicare for Everyone,” in hopes that it would be an easier sell. And on Thursday, ABC News cited sources who said that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid planned to include some form of a government plan in Senate legislation....

...Ironically, President Obama has insisted that he will cut several hundred billion dollars out of Medicare’s budget without affecting benefits simply by eliminating waste, fraud, and abuse — yet he simultaneously makes the case that creating a new government plan is necessary to improve efficiency in the health care system.

http://spectator.org/archives/2009/10/23/medi-fraud-for-everyone/

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The government doesn't do a very good job of running Medicare, even by their OWN figures, it will be bankrupt by 2017. I'd like to see them really eliminate waste and fraud, BEFORE they attempt to take on more.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 5:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

•  I'd like to see them really eliminate waste and fraud, BEFORE they attempt to take on more.

good

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I have to LOL at Reid getting on the Public Option Bus. Those TV ads are doing their job, aren't they???

I support a public option. I would like to see the outline of how the Medicare cuts will slash abuse and fraud. I see the conundrum of cutting Medicare while creating another agency. But I also see Obama's point that the govt is going to have to force this on the ins co, because they sure aren't going to do it themselves. The fact that 1 or 2 ins co control the markets in 40 of the 50 states show that.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 5:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• That's sick.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 6:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The fact that 1 or 2 ins co control the markets in 40 of the 50 states show that.

Open up the competition beyond state lines.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Open up the competition beyond state lines.
    ________________________________________________
    I would bet that this is easier said than done. Aren't you a big believer in states rights? There are a lot of regulations that vary considerably from state to state.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 8:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

ITA- much easier said than done.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 9:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Creating HCR is much easier said than done as well. I fear a morass of paperwork, endless committees, lack of clarity and greatly increased taxes.

I've dealt with Medicare on both sides; working in a doctor's office and dealing with it for my mother. IF is goes smoothly, it's okay. If it messes up, which is does frequently, it's a nightmare in red to get the problem fixed, the service approved, and the medical paid. Government programs are always too top heavy, too rule driven, and too unwieldy. Medicare is hovering on the verge of bankruptcy, expanding it will quicken the fall.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 12:04 AM on Oct. 26, 2009