Hospital update!

If you read my 1st question you should know that im 35.5 weeks along and that I was having severe pain and pressure! I was advised to seek medical assistance! I went to my local er & there the nurse check my cervix dialated 1 cm and 40% effaced! ok so that isnt bad....but as i laid there in the ob my contractions became more frequent and i was in more pain then usual...she said that because this is my 3rd child it could be more painful! ok? my question is why in the heck would they let me leave knowing my contractions are 20 min apart and im in severe pain still! they say the usual go home and rest! yeah thats easy for someone who dont have 2 other young ones! Im so upset at this point, i just want her to get here and for this to all be over!!

jami5

Asked by jami5 at 5:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It shouldn't be more painful just because it's your 3rd.

You are only 1 cm and it could be weeks. You want to be at least 36 weeks. Days right now matter. One day your baby's lungs won't be mature and the next day they will. That means the baby will be able to breathe on it's own and may not have to be in NICU. You do not want your baby in NICU. At 36 weeks you and your baby may go home together. I did with my 36 weeker.

Try to relax. Lay on your left side. Take a shower or bath. See if there is something you can do so you feel better. Try to get someone else to watch after the kids for a little bit.

If you have the money consider hiring a doula. There are two kinds of doulas, ones that help in labor and ones that help at home after the baby is born. Some doulas come and help before the baby is born.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• At 35 weeks they usually won't stop your labor and your contractions are 20 min apart not considered active labor so that is probably why they sent you home. I just had twins a few weeks ago that were born at 35 weeks, 2 days. I went to the hospital multiple times for contractions. I had contractions all day everyday starting at 30 weeks they were 20 minutes apart. then at 30 weeks they got to every ten minutes apart all day! I asked the Doctor how will I know when it is time. He said you won't you just have to come get checked. I was so sick of having contractions! My water broke and that is how I knew it was time to go.
    marilyp

Answer by marilyp at 5:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Thanks for posting the update, and please continue to keep us informed. :)

Answer by Bmat at 5:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• alot of times its proticall. my hospital will not keep me if my contractions are more than 10 min apart. they said they have to keep as many beds as possible open.
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 5:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i hope your baby stays in there a couple more weeks =) good luck
    Anonymous