Why do some people think the Universal Unatarians are a cult?

Many religions don't claim there is only path to salvation. Why are is the UUC accused of being a cult when say the Jews are not?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Some people think that any religion that doesn't believe exactly as they do is a cult. I believe there is a biblical reason that in some cases Jews are left off the hook on this one.

The true definition of a cult is any organized group that uses pushy pressure tactics to get others to join....mainly using fear or outrageous promises as a psychological hook.

Often times it is cults themselves that accuse others of being cults... but that's just my personal observation.

moniquinha

Answer by moniquinha at 5:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I've come to learn that some people throw around the word "cult" to describe any group with beliefs that are different from those of their own particular denomination.

I wouldn't take it too personally.
    Anonymous

• I wasn't aware that it was being called a cult. I guess by the textbook definition, ANY religion, even atheism and agnosticism (even though they aren't religions, work with me here), could be called cults.

I personally don't think it's a cult, though. I quite like the ideas that they teach, although I don't think I could bring myself to follow all of them.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Many people (specifically many Christians) call any group who does not believe EXACTLY like they do, a cult. Don't take it personal :)
    Anonymous

• Because some people are ignorant and rather than learn something about a group they prefer to hate it because it doesn't agree with them.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The true definition of a cult is any organized group that uses pushy pressure tactics to get others to join

No, sorry, that's the common mis-usage of the word. A cult is very simply a religious group that is smaller than a sect. All religions start as cults, then grow to sects, then to denominations, and then finally to an independent religion. Christianity in the time of the disciples was a cult.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 6:23 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• http://www.religioustolerance.org/cults.htm
    Anonymous

• Sorry, Jews are a people and a nationality,not just a religion,I can't think of a cult who went through a holocaust like they did. Maybe you should find a better example.....
    Anonymous

• not going to say they're a cult but they're teachings are wrong and leading people down a wrong path. There is only one way to God and heaven and that is throug His Son Jesus. I know not everybody believes that and so ppl who don't believe it will fill right at home at a UUA church which is open, all accepting etc. with many paths to a god or ur spirituality etc. That sounds good to many but sadly in the end the truth will be known. No man comes to the Father (creator of the universe) accept through His Son Jesus Christ who gave His life for all that all could be saved. So cult no, false teachings.. yes.
    Anonymous

• So Anon 42 any religion other than Christianity would fall into that category. Are they as bad as UUC in your book?

Anonymous