how do I keep my supply???????

So here is my question........

I have been breastfeeding my little one since day one. I had to supplement and give her a bottle because she was not gaining any weight and she has juandice. I had been doing that since she was 3 days old. My milk had not come in and the doc told me to just give her formula to help with the juandice. So she is 6 days old now, and i tried to give her the breast and she would not take it. I went and got a pump so that she could have breast milk, but i can not seem to pump more than an ounce, and that is from both breast. I am wondering how and what can i do to keep my supply up enough so that i can continue to breast feed?

Married2daBest

Asked by Married2daBest at 5:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I had the exact same problem with my first son, and it was so rough that I just dried up at like 6 weeks. Now with my second I am doing better. But this is my suggestion. Mix a little breast milk in with the formula. I actually mix half formula and half breast milk now, and my son is 18 days old. In the first week or so I didn't make much milk either. Drink a lot of water, a lot, and eat small amounts often through the day. Pump every 2 hours to get the supply up. Then every 3 hours. Don't get discourages. I did the first time around. Not every woman's body is the same, and not everyone can produce a lot of milk. As my mother told me...that was what Wet Nurses were for in the pioneer days, otherwise thousands of babies would have starved to death.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Thank you I am very upset and thinking that she will not get to get any breast milk at all. I will start to pump every 2 hours instead of every 3 hours like I am doing. I will aslo mix breast milk with the formula. Thank you again
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 5:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Sure, and keep in mind, that in the beginning it is a low amount of milk. Because that is all the baby eats. Then in the next couple weeks it will go up. I typically only get 4 oz total between both breasts. But on ocassion up to 5.5 oz. But keeping hydrated is key! And make sure you have a good pump, that was my problem the first time around. This time I "rented" the medela one from the pharmacy. The hospital supplied me with the breast cups and everything, then the actual pump was from pharmacy.
    MissHeidi0304

Answer by MissHeidi0304 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You will probably need the help of a lactation consultant.

I'm sorry you got bad advice. Doctors are not trained in breastfeeding management. Your baby should have never had any bottles or formula. What you do if the baby is jaundiced is breastfeed more. Formula makes the baby have fewer stools and that makes the jaundice last longer. It's ok if the baby doesn't gain weight and looses weight in the early days. Now you have a baby that won't take the breast.

The first task is to get the baby to take the breast.

The second task is to build your supply. There is a massage you can do before you pump that can help you get more milk. Go to google and type in Marmet technique.

An ounce is really pretty good. An ounce or two may be all a newborn may need at a feeding. Your baby's tummy is very small.

www.kelllymom is a very good website

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Bless your heart! You can do it!! :) My milk didn't come in for 7 days (maybe because I was induced??) but I didn't even have colustrum coming out until day 5. I have had two other kids and I know what colostrum looks like... I know for a fact it wasn't expressing when with my first one (I have been told I was wrong on this! Um it's my body!!) Keep pumping dear! You will get there. Invest in a good pump or see if you can get one through your local hospital. Always try to nurse first and then offer the bottle. IF baby just wants to pacify on your breast for now- let em!! That will stimulate more production. I did a breast/formula combo for the first couple months and then about 5 months of exclusive breastfeeding. It really saddens me that they don't teach more women about combo feeding. It can be done and rather successfully. A friend of mine pumped for 12 weeks before her child was able to latch.
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 5:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You should give breastmilk before formula. You want to give as little formula as possible so you don't want it to be mixed. You also want your baby to desire the taste of breastmilk so the baby will take the breast.

Virtually all women can make enough milk for their baby. You probably had enough when the doctor told you to give formula. Newborns are supposed to loose weight. Women in starving conditions, women in wars, women with triplets, women with one breast, adoptive mothers have all breastfed their babies. There is no reason to believe that you can't.

Once you get your baby to take your breast you may have no further problems.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• A word about plumbing, plumbing only an ounce doesn't mean you don't have 5 more in your breast. I could only pump 4 ounces from both breast when competently encouraged. My oldest nursed 45 min each hour for 14 hours a day. But tripled her weight in 3 months. So I would encourage you to talk to a lactation consultant to see if she can help your daughter get on the breast so you don't have to pump. I struggled for the first week with breast feeding both girls. Plenty of water and plenty of calories, not in excess but an extra 500 a day with keep the milk rich. You are doing great. Also there are supplement feeders that attach to the breast so the kid gets both in a feeding, thus  keeping your supply up and makes it easier to ween from the formula.

DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• POSTER<<<<<<<

thank you all for your advice. I do have a medela manual pump that i do myslef. I might have to go and get another one maybe a electric pump or something. I am going to give her a ounce of both formula and breastmilk, she took the breast milk out of the bottle when i gave it to her, but when i put her to the breast she still roots like it is not right there in her mouth. I dont know i am so upset I really wanted to breastfeed, but since the bad advice from the doc I am unable to.
    Married2daBest

Answer by Married2daBest at 6:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• well if you think about it the baby wont take the breast for many reasons
    1. drinking from a breast is hard work
    2. Lactation consultants ask you to wait 3-4 weeks before introducing a bottle for that very reason
    3. drinking from a bottle is EASY, almost effortless

your babies instinct to drink from breast is still there but now is used to the effortlessness of a bottle

also...only 2-3% of women cannot produce enough milk if they have started from the begining so please keep up the pumping and try to offer the breast when possible
    Anonymous

• OP: Don't give up. This is why I feel your pain. It begins to seem bleak when all the information is being thrown at you and you aren't yet having success. Let me promise you this: It will come. You can do this! Please take the pp's advice about a lactation consultant. Or at the very least go to the llli.org website to find out if there is someone you can chat with.

A friend of mine from CM told me this: Try pinching your nipple like you would hold your hand if you had a sock puppet on. Pinching that way almost flat and trying to get baby to latch on that way can be much easier than what you sometimes see in diagrams.

Just don't feel defeated. That's my best advice. I felt so overcome with guilt when I struggled with my first one. But it isn't the end of the world. You are a GREAT mom for trying so hard and being so concerned. Don't give up. As I said, I know women who have been able to successfully ...
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 6:22 PM on Oct. 25, 2009