Keeping baby healthy

Do you think it is safe to use hand sanitizors or whipes on babys?
I go out alot whith my baby, and although I'd love to say 'dont touch him', I dont want to look like a mean mom. My mothers also showing him to others, letting them grab his hands all the time. I cant tell her not too, because Im already on her bad side with saying 'no' to her aboutmy son.
So do you think sanitizors are safe?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just used wipes.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 5:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Sanitizer can poizen babies, even on moms hands. I make wipes by putting some folded paper towels in a ziplock bag with a drop or two of castile soap and a drop or two of olive oil and some water so they are moist. The wipes can be used for hands or diaper changes. I put dry paper towels in another ziplock bag.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:05 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I agree with Gaill, babies stick their hands in their mouths a lot and you don't want them sucking on hand sanitizer.
    Natsnumberthree

Answer by Natsnumberthree at 6:28 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I have used hand sanitizer with dd, but I always rubbed it on myself and let it wait a minute to kill the germs and what not...and then I rinsed her hand thoroughly with water which sort of takes away the convenience of using hand sanitizer...but wipes don't really kill all the germs, and standing there washing her hands with soap and water was a struggle when she was younger...so that was my method. I wouldn't use it just straight hand sanitizer. (Although, for the record, the amount he'd have on his hands would NOT poison him. I asked a health care professional, and the alcohol content if consumed would likely just lower his electrolytes so he'd need to drink plenty of juice or pedialyte or something. He'd have to drink A LOT more than that before it would do serious harm. STill not a good idea, but it's good to be informed so you dont' freak out if you've already used it or something)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I use hand sanitizer ALL the time! When we were in the NICU they used sanitizer ALL the time! Seriously like every 2 seconds. The even made you use Hand santizing soap to wash with. How can it poison the baby. If it COULD poison the baby, I dont think the would have them in EVERY hospital and EVERY doctors office EVERYWHERE!

I hate that too! I say that 100 times a day. DONT TOUCH HER HANDS. When they do it anyway, I use hand sanitizer on the babies hands. I put it in mine and rub it on her hands.
    momtopreemie521

Answer by momtopreemie521 at 8:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• just tell her the docter said not to be letting people touch baby until flu season is over,that way no feelings hurt.i wouldnt use hand sanitizer,the baby could also rub there eyes and it would sting.use baby wipes with aloy in it
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:55 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Check with your doctor first before using these products. There are infant related products out there that prevent the spreading of germs, so go to those before you use anything else. Also, do not be afraid to tell anyone that they cannot touch your baby. Do not be afraid to tell your mother that you would rather her not let people touch the baby. This is your child, stand up for what you feel is right for them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009