how do i get my baby to drink water

the doc says she needs to drink water when she eats solid food but she wont?

cassie_m

Asked by cassie_m at 5:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• my doc said to put splenda in the water it sweetens it but its not sugar so its better for them
    ashleywilkerson

Answer by ashleywilkerson at 5:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You don't want to give your baby artificial sweetener! Artificial sweetener is not good for anyone.

What does your baby do when you give her water? What kind of solids are you giving her?
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 6:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• just rice cerial. she just wont drink it.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 6:02 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• you could give her water on a spoon. I also agree that spenda is not good for babies.
    Anonymous

• I've never heard of a baby needing added water until they were off the formula or breastmilk, but I guess Doctor knows best. The only way I eventually got dd to enjoy water (to some extent) was by starting off giving her juice, then slowly adding more and more water to it each time. So first give her all juice, then 3/4 juice, then 1/2, etc...until she finally gets used to the flavor of water. I don't know if this would also work with formula or breastmilk (not during meal time of course, she needs her nutrients, but just to start her on something familiar and going from there?)
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 6:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• i dont care what anyone says dont put anything in water to get them to drink it.very bad habit also to get into.try puting the water in a cup that u will only put water in. buy a nice sippy cup with a nipple like spout for water only.or do the whole spoon thing like she mentioned
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Try half water, half 100% juice like apple or pear or white grape.
    Anonymous

• Don't give your baby aritificial sweetener. It isn't good for anyone, especially a developing child. It is artificial for a reason, it's fake. Which means it is filled with chemicals and addatives that no baby needs to ingest. I agree with the previous poster add a little bit of juice to the water to sweeten it up. Adding that extra flavor might fool your baby into thinking they're having juice, but infact it's mostly water.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009