2 Little girls that can't have WHEAT HELP!!!

Are you dealing with this as well or no any dishs that I can pass along to them they just found out and it is a bit much because everything has wheat even fries from mickey Ds

nicoal4

Asked by nicoal4 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Kids' Health

• parents magazine this month has a wheat free cake recipe. Would you like me to send that?
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• check out the food allergy network (foodallergy.org)....they have plenty of ideas. There are gluten free (wheat free) mixes in supermarkets, rice products such as rice pastas....yes it tastes different, but it's all in what a child gets used to.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Find gluten-free forums - both here on cafemom and other sites in the 'net.
    Anonymous

• Is it only wheat they can't have or gluten, too? I ask b/c there are more options if they must only be WF vs. if they needed to be totally GF. My son is actually allergic to wheat, but he is also gluten intolerant, so we've got the double-whammy.

As pps have said, there are a number of online GF groups, many of them right here on CM, so you may want to join one of those, b/c GF always means you have to be WF, too.

If you go to the bookstore or library, there are hundreds of books on cooking for people w/allergies. Wheat allergies are actually fairly common, so there are many recipes available out there & you can find substitution lists on the web, too.

A good magazine to get is "Living Without" (http://www.livingwithout.com/), which is about allergy-free living. There's also a ton of info on the website.

It's not as scary as it sounds and I'm sure you'll be fine once you get the hang of making substitutions.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 8:49 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• This is easier than you think. No one needs fast food. Rice, beans, barley, quinoa, etc. There are so many alternative flours, you won't miss the wheat at all.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:52 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• google celiac disease diet or receipe. THere's a plethra of info out there. I'm sure there are lots of cookbooks geared towards this too. It's actually fairly common.

http://www.celiac.com/categories/Gluten%252dFree-Recipes/
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I sent the recipe-it's in 3 emails. Cause well I'm goofy. GL.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 2:04 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Is it just wheat or are they on a gluten free diet? There are many alternatives. I have a good bread recipe. There are rice noodles. I often substitute rice flour in recipes for pancakes, cakes, muffins, etc....
    I also use rice cakes & corn tortillas in place of bread; Fritos for crackers in soup, V8 has gluten free soups. Rice Chex, Corn Chex, Rice Crispies. There's always meat, fruit, & veggies.

There is also some good gluten fee groups on here with recipe sections
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 4:05 PM on Oct. 26, 2009