using a chopper to start switching off baby foods?

I am starting to try table foods for my child. I bought a chopper/ grinder but i have no idea what to use in it or how to do it. I was hoping you could give me some ideas about what to try.

kelka24

Asked by kelka24 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I never bought baby food, I always just ground what we ate. Of course if it was too spicy I wouldn't, but most things I just put in the grinder. I don't add a lot of salt or sugar to our food, so it worked well for the baby, too.

Answer by Bmat at 6:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I never used a grinder, just diced up whatever we were having. I don't salt our food before it hits the table, so it wasn't a problem.

Answer by missanc at 9:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• A sharp knife and dice up what you're eating then put some on a plate for the baby. If you're trying to get them off baby food, why grind it up?
    Anonymous

• I never used a chopper or anything either. My kids just ate whatever were having. If it was meat it got cut into tiny cubes but otherwise I left it as it was. My youngest was off baby food by 9 months eating only table food (whatever we were having) and her 3 bottles a day.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• As we have NO idea how old your baby is I would say grind the food. Things like carrots, green beans etc you can actually smash up. Alot of times if we were having roast with potatoes etc I would put a little meat potato's/carrots with a dash of milk or formula and then grind up to a baby food consistancy.

I think it would be helpful if we knew how old your child is :)
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:21 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I used a fork or food processor at home and a baby food mill when we were out. Start with avocado mashed with breastmilk (or formula). Then baked sweet potato, oatmeal, pumpkin, pureed peas, etc. Be sure to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list: before age 1, no soy, dairy, wheat, citrus, egg white, strawberries; before age 2 no honey, chocolate, nuts. The best book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families is called Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron. You should be able to find it at your local library. There is some great information on the website: www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 8:45 AM on Oct. 26, 2009