bad pacifier

my 1 month old baby is just in love with her pacifier she sleeps with it and is almost all day with it to.. could it be bad for her gums?? or be a problem in the future?? has any one had this same problem??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It is normal to suck all day, they are babies and thats how they soothe themselves. Most likely it will be a problem in the future but just for a few days to a week when you take it away.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Assuming you are not breastfeeding, there is no reason why your child shouldn't have her pacifier as much as she needs it. In fact, in most children, using one straight through toddlerhood is generally not harmful to the teeth unless permanent teeth are starting to come in. Most children give up the paci on their own, and the more you struggle over it, the harder it will become. My own daughter seemed to LOVE hers as well, so I worried slightly about it becoming a huge attachment issues later on, but she actually weaned herself off of it at around nine months and hasn't missed it since. Just make sure she feels loved and secure with you, give her to paci, and you probably have nothing to worry about.
    Anonymous

• i bf and my baby still liked to suck on a pacifier in between eatting...im getting really sick of people putting down women for not breastfeeding it's getting really annoying on here ( sorry for putting this in your question OP ) but it shouldnt affect the baby untill she has teeth and when you try to take it away later on just try to do it as soon as you can so she wont throw a huge fit when shes older
    Anonymous

• i have only gaven my little one hers when she take naps and goes to bed.my huspand hates to see 2 - 3 yr olds in stores walking around with pacys in there mouth. i would try to limit when she gets it. my lil one would only take one kind that we cant find anymore in any store.she has one left,and when that one gives in she is done.
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• It only becomes a problem when the baby starts teething. Then all day sucking could lead to the teeth coming in at the wrong angle, or making it harder for them to come in. Also, it will be hard in the future when you try to ween your child off of the pacifier. As they have become accostomed to using it all day and sleeping with it, it will pose a problem when you ask them to go without.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009