question about highlights

I want to put highlights in my hair and do it at home because it costs too much at a salon. The last time i tried i could barely see them at all. I have a dark auburn red hair and i have heard it is harder to put highlights on redheads. does anybody know a good highlighting kit to use and do i have to use one specifically for redheads? besides my first try i have never used any kind of color on my hair so i am kind of clueless and dying for something different on me...lol. Thank you!

jlf783

Asked by jlf783 at 6:46 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• I have been using Loreas Colour Express for several years, and have NEVER had a bad experience! It's a great system, and SO easy. You just apply an all over color, and after rinsing, washing and drying your hair like you usually wear it, you literally just pant on "ribbons" of highlights wherever you want them--they provide two different applicator wands--one is like a big mascara brush, and is the one I prefer. I leave the highlighting solution on for about 45 minutes (My natural color is dark brown and I use a chestnut/warm brown base color with ash blond highlights)--then rinse, wash and dry.

It's always best to be conservative with your highlights, and I think 1/4" sections spread out about 2 inches apart come out the best! Remember the highlights and base color will lighten over time, and your color may be vastly different a few weeks later. And you can always add more highlights later!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• thank you for your suggestion lorikeet. the loreal colour one is actually the one i tried but i only left the highlight part on for 25 min (thats what the directions said) and you could barely see them at all. i have a dark deep red auburn so maybe i should have left it on longer. i don't want a drastic amount of highlights but conservative like you said, and maybe i should have got one more pack because i have long thick hair also and it might not have been enough. maybe i will try that one again and leave it on for 45 min...thank you! :)
    jlf783

Answer by jlf783 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• You are not going to successfully highlight your hair on your own, especially if you are a red head. Go ahead and try but you are asking for trouble. Highlighting isn't that much. Just breakdown and spend the $60 to do it. It'll cost way more than that after you damage your hair and need help fixing it.
    Anonymous

• You will not get that light with a home highlighting kit! Especially if you have a ton of hair and it's thick. Coloring all over and highlighting after can really damage your hair.Go to a salon and get the good stuff, doing that box stuff to your hair again is just going to process your hair too much. I fix so many do it yourself messes that would just cost less if they had come to me in the first place.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• anon...thanks for the advice but ive checked around here and most places charge 1-200 dollars. i havent found anywhere that charges $60 at all i wish i could or i would go there. my mother is a cosmetologist but she refuses to do anything besides cut my hair

i don't want blond highlights or anything i just want a lighter red highlight and i dont want a ton of highlights, just a subtle amount
    jlf783

Answer by jlf783 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009