Does anyone know where I can report this nurse?

I had to take my son to urgent care this Saturday, and the nurse there REEKED of cigarette smoke and my son has asthma. She of course had to do some things that required her to hover over him, and I could barely keep from coughing, let alone keep him from coughing. He got diagnosed with croup and a double ear infection, so of course he was cranky too. She grabbed his wrists really hard and put her face about six inches away from his and yelled at him. I mean full on yelled at him. I'm writing a letter to the urgent care clinic, but I want to do more. Does anyone know where I can do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• Nope, that's all you can do, besides find out who her supervisor is.
    Anonymous

• why did she yell at him?
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 8:19 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• That's not all you can do. There is an organization where you can report non professional medical "professionals"...sort of like the BBB for the medical field. Unfortunately, I cannot remember what they are called and the irks me. Maybe you could google it or something, or perhaps someone with the BBB would know of it since they may get complaints there for this type of thing and need to tell people where to go? Golly, I wish I was more help! If you want to email or call the bbb though and see what they know (maybe you can report to them also?) it's bbb.org.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Call and speak to her supervisor. It will be hard to do more than that- since you didn't "call her out" when it happened. Unfortunantly medical people are allowed to smoke- so she can't get in trouble for smelling of cigarettes (no matter how bad it is). Since you waited to report her (instead of asking for her supervisor while you were there- or calling right when you got home/next day) it will be your word against hers- and she will likely get no more than a slap on the wrist.
    It is sad that we will get confrontational with the cable company for a mistake in our bill- but feel uneasy and won't speak against medical personell whether it is for ourselves or a loved one.
    If that ever happens again- SPEAK OUT IMMEDIATLY!!!! Once you leave, it will be your word against theirs- and they will say "if it was that bad, then why did you allow them to treat you without saying anything"
    Anonymous

• I'm a nurse. Her actions were unacceptable and unprofessional. I can't think of any reason why it would be okay for her to reek of smoke during her shift, either. Contact your state's Board of Nursing. You should be able to Google it. I would talk to her supervisor first, but you never know if anything will be done. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• OP here:

Thank you for your responses, I'll try and figure something out.

Just so you know, I asked to speak with her supervisor on our way out, and he's only there M-F, and this was Saturday morning, so I left it at that. I didn't want to say anything in front of my son because he was already crying and I wanted to be there for him and not escalate the situation. Trust me, if my son hadn't been so upset, or if I was able to get my son out of the room so he wouldn't see me, that nurse would have had a bruise somewhere on her body for touching my son that way. I could tell she realized she was wrong because I took her hands off my son and yelled at her. She then changed her tune, but I could tell she's a bully, and she probably does that kind of stuff all the time. My son was crying, she was trying to get his blood oxygen level, and he was fighting it. cont...
    Anonymous

• ... cont

I told her he would fight it, but she still insisted on it, and my husband and I were holding him down. He kept using his fingers to knock it off, and she yelled (I mean yelled, not spoke, but full on yelled) "Why don't you want me to do this?" after she grabbed both of his wrists hard enough to turn them white.

He always has a hard time getting that done. I don't know why, but it freaks him out. His pedi's office and the ER has NEVER acted the way that nurse did. She was completely out of line.

To naturepeace:

Why do you want to know why she yelled at him? Do you think it's acceptable for a nurse to yell at any two year old? Why didn't you want to know why she was squeezing his wrists?

Sheesh, some people.

And thank you, Iamgr8ful for saying that. I used to work in the medical field, not as a nurse, but with patients. If I ever would have acted like her, I would have been fired on the sp
    Anonymous

• To naturepeace:

i think it was just out of curiosity, like "what the HECK did she do that for?"
    Anonymous

• excuse me op but i just asked WHY she yelled at him.i do not appreciate you saying "sheesh some people" directed towards me. i was asking you why as you did not include the reason in your question. i DO NOT think it is appropriate at all with anything that nurse did and if it was my child i would've done the same as you. in no way was i condoning what the nurse did.

sheesh some people.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 11:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Actually there is more you can do besides report to a supervisor. Each nurse is registered with the state they received their license. I have reported nurses before, because too many of them are abusive bitches that hate their job and want to make everyone miserable just like them. You could call the state health office and they should be able to give you a number to call. Then if the allegations are found true (not saying you are lying) then they could take her license and she would not be able to work in a healthcare setting ever again.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:29 AM on Oct. 26, 2009