I feel like I can't take a full deep breath..

I am not pregnant anymore and this doesnt happen every breath. But it is kinda scary i feel like i have to yawn a few times to get it in there. I am 28 years old and am pretty healthy but i did smoke at one point so I am alittle nervous about it. does this ever happen to anyone else?

AmFam5

Asked by AmFam5 at 7:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Health

• Only when I have flu or bronchitis or asthma. Maybe you should get it checked.

Answer by Bmat at 7:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• This happens to me all the time. I think it might be Asthma because it's the same thing my son complinas about, but I'm afraid of doctors and so I suffer instead. Maybe go see and Allergy/Asthma doctor.
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• IhartU, you should get it checked. It isn't good for your health to not get enough air. I use an oral inhaler when I have asthma symptoms and it is such a relief to breathe freely.

Answer by Bmat at 7:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Are you currently taking any meds?
    mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 7:42 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I heard that sometimes it can be related to GERD(acid reflux) have you guys ever heard of such a thing?
    AmFam5

Answer by AmFam5 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Could it possibly be anxiety? You said you aren't pregnant anymore, how old is your baby? If you just had him/her you could have some postpartum anxiety and breathlessness is common with it. I've had it pretty bad during this pregnancy and it got so bad I was yawning like every breath because I was so nervous about when my next full breath would come. Luckily the anxiety has diminished but occassionally when I feel like I need a full breath and don't draw one in, I'll start trying to yawn out of nervousness.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Bmat,
    I know, but ever since my sister died from breast cancer last year, I have panic attacks about doctors and hospitals. The not being able to breath is getting worse though, and I will HAVE to go soon whether I like it or not!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 7:44 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• mustbegrace, no not taking any medication.
    tnm786, I had the baby in 08 he is actually going to be 2 in january. I also have 2 other children. I'm not sure if its postpartum although i heard it can come on months later, I was thinking maybe anxiety alittle too tho.
    AmFam5

Answer by AmFam5 at 7:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• As a matter of fact. I do feel like that often lately! We're jobless and I can't get good medical care! But I feel for you! If you can go in and be checked out! You may be young and healthy but its good to be sure!! Does this happen at home only? Like something is doing it to you at home? Or every where? I hope you find your cure and your healing!
    Angellinda

Answer by Angellinda at 8:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• well i saw that someone else put postpartum anxiety. You could just be having regular anxiety. I have slight anxiety and when I get anxious I get a loss of breath. The doctor actually told me i would start yawning alot because when you are experiencing anxiety you only breath out of the top portion of your lungs. So the air in the bottom of your lungs becomes toxic creating the anxious feeling or breathlessness, or lack of clean oxygen to your brain, making you yawn. So she gave me some breathing excersizes to help. just be sure to see your stomach moving while you breathe, that means youre using the full capacity of your lungs. good luck and God bless :)
    h_anne88

Answer by h_anne88 at 10:00 PM on Oct. 25, 2009