switching my 6 mo old from bfing to bottle feeding! she refuses

my 6mo old used to switch no problem back and forth from bottle to breast. then i bought the hooter hider and was strickly bfing for the last 2 months and i tried to give her a bottle and now she will not take it no matter what i do. What do i do? I need her to get back on bottles. or i can't leave her with anyone. It doesn't matter to her whats in the bottle, breast milk, formula, water... if its a bottle she won't have it. I use the platex drop in bottles. Please help!

ninawiseman87

Asked by ninawiseman87 at 7:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daugter was strickly breast she never had a bottle and at six months i stopped breast feeding . She would not take the bottle at all. so i gave her a cup. She went from boob to sippy cup. Skip the bottle try a good sippy. see how she does.
    good luck
    Mrs.Oriaku

Answer by Mrs.Oriaku at 7:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I feel your pain!! My daughter would take an occasional bottle of pumped milk - she didn't like it, but would take it. My son however, was a booger! He flat out refused everything my hubby tried giving him. We tried avent, playtex, Dr. Brown, nuby, and soothie bottles - didn't matter. We finally doled out the cash for an adiri natural nurser - it's a bottle that's shaped like a boob, basically - and he took it right away with no fuss. Now, he sees that bottle and gets excited, just like when he's hungry and trying to pull my shirt down :)
    One important thing about giving a bottle - neither of my kids wanted me to give them a bottle - they had a lot of trouble understanding why they couldn't just have the "real" thing right there in front of them. I can't even be in the room, or it doesn't happen. Also, if your little one doesn't take a bottle from someone else - it's ok. . . . . . . . . .
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• . . . . . . She won't starve herself. Also, she's old enough at this point where you could try a sippy cup instead of a bottle. She's also old enough to maybe start getting some solids if you want.
    TiffanyMarie80

Answer by TiffanyMarie80 at 7:59 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• the drop ins nipples are very flimsy,i would try using something else.like a different brand or try a sippy with a nipple like spout
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 8:37 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• The main thing I always read was to not wait until the baby is super hungry before trying...that way if she can't get it at first, she isn't starving and won't get as pissed off. If she just won't even TRY it, you could do what the others said and attempt it with a sippy cup, or try a bottle that is made for breastfeeding mom's that are made closer to the shape of your own breast and that mimics the same suction pattern.
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009