Is this normal? How do I know Im in labor?

I am 37 weeks pregnant and I am having alot of back pains, and abdominal pains. My hips feel like they are about the break in two or fall off, and I keep getting vaginal twings' and vaginal cramps. And when I am sitting down Im...ok... but when I get up I feel like he's gonna fall out! I hasve a TON of pressure on my crotch as well! This is my first pregnancy and I dont know what signs point to labor. What are the signs of labor starting soon?

Alysia_Moore

Asked by Alysia_Moore at 7:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• sounds just like me!! ive been going through this for several weeks now but believe me i panicked when it first started, and ive been to the ER twice to make sure, when stuff got "worse" or whatever. i know how you feel tho, it's uncomfortable and you can be really convinced that something is going on and it's scary! and even though I know it's normal now, I still wonder every time something seems different or worse than the day before. my mom said she felt just like normal until the morning she lost the plug, then had me the next morning, so even though i know it's normal, i'm on my toes for the "signs" of true labor. congrats, sounds like we will be due just about the same time!!
    sammybear71

Answer by sammybear71 at 10:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Welcome to the last weeks of pregnancy otherwise known as hell. That is probably not labor, just last day's discomfort. You'll notice it's worse at night. It's your body getting ready for labor. When you go into labor, trust me you'll know. There are very few of us who didn't.
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• All very normal. You will know when labor starts and it doesn't sound like it has yet. For me with my first my water broke so that was pretty obvious, but with my second it was just contractions that didn't quit when I laid down. You will know what contractions feel like when they start and you really don't need to go to the hospital until you are into active labor and trust me you will KNOW by then.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:20 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• sounds normal. =) it probably won't make you feel any better, but all of this is getting you ready to birth your baby. it could be in a few days, or in a month. gl!
    Anonymous

• Sounds like the baby dropped, thats all. Good luck and congrats :)
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 10:16 PM on Oct. 25, 2009