My 2 year old

Has been throwin these horrible temper tantrums. She won't wanna be touched and she wouldn't know what she wants and it makes me upset because I don't know what to do to try and calm her down. I don't know if she's upset about something or what. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:54 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i walk away, he gets a bit more upset and then just finds something to calm himself. most moms know the difference between the trantrum cry and the i need my mommy cry. if you do, walk away from the trantrum cry, it's the attn she wants.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Ignore her. If you try to console, punish, ANYTHING, in the middle of a tantrum, it's just going to make it worse - and getting any attention, positive or negative, is just going to make her do it more often in order to get that attention. When she starts, make sure she's safe and there's nothing around she can get hurt on or with, and walk away. Let her chill out and come to you, don't go to her.
    Anonymous

• I agree. The best thing you can do for a tantrum is ignore it and let it pass. You can also try to redirect his attention by calmly suggesting something else or by simply going and doing something else (like get out his favorite toy and start to play). Just make sure you can still see him and he can see you. The less focus on the tantrum, the better.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 9:08 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I'd walk away. Say "When you're ready to talk to me I'll be over here." Then when she calms down talk to her and tell her how she needs to use her words. You want to help her, but you can't when she acts like that.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2009