My 18 month old boy don't talk.He say about 4 words.Should i be worried?

budapest

Asked by budapest at 8:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my prediatrician said that's perfectly normal. my son didn't start talking til he was about two and a half, then words and full sentences just flew out (to our stund faces). it's normal in boys for them to not talk very much. my friend is having the same problem with her son and is really worried but keeps getting the same response. she posted happily on fb the other day he has a new word and it'll just keep growing from there. i'd wait til he's at least two to start the worries, and maybe three.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 8:15 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• No. Mine were both saying only 5 words around that time and I'm a certified teacher and was working with them.

Like my pediatrician says, if they don't talk early then they have some other talent. My first daughter was immediately good with numbers, math, and puzzles...way before she could talk. My son is a climber. He was 13 months old when he figured otu how to stack toys up to pull out a dresser drawer to then use as a step to climb on top of the dresser. Each kid is different and does things at their own pace.

As long as your baby responds when you say his name or clap (making sure his hearing is ok) then I wouldn't worry at all.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 8:17 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• We stopped counting DD's words at 17 months and she was up to 500.

Do you talk to your son regularly? Ask him questions even if you don't expect answers? Point things out and name them? READ READ READ to him?

Anonymous

• Well I wouldn't worry as long as he says words.My son started to talk at 14-15 months but just stopped at 16 months.Hes 18 months now and won't say anything.We are taking him to a therapist because it may be his hearing thats messed up.We talk to him everyday and try to have him say something in hopes he will start before therapy but either way he will talk soon enough.
    krystaldawn_21

Answer by krystaldawn_21 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• What are the 4 words he says?
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• He doesn't talk, but he says about 4 words? Which one is it? If he's not talking, is he at least babbling? If he is saying 4 words then he's off to a good start.
    Anonymous

• My son didn't talk much (about 50 words) till he was three and a half because of recurring ear infections. Now sometimes I wish he would hush for a little while lol.
    coffeemama1776

Answer by coffeemama1776 at 2:18 AM on Oct. 26, 2009