So where is the line from interfering with the E.M.T's saving your childs life to making sure you are watching out for your child?

So I see this so often on a lot of medical shows. I know not all medical staff are completley competent, however where do we draw the line when our child is having a medical emergency? I see parents yelling at emt's and doctors saying what they are doing isn't right or isn't good enough. Part of me feels like,"you are not a doctor or a paramedic, let them do what they need to do" and then the other part of me is "I hope they know what they are doing!" You know what I mean?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• I worked in a ER at a children's hospital so I have a little different take on those kinds of situations than most parents I guess. I completely trust what the nurses, docs and EMTs are doing and I will never interfere unless for some reason I see something that's completely questionable. The majority of medical staff are very competent and parents should try to let them do their jobs. I can say that in my time in the ER I never saw anything like what you've described. Wait... I take that back. I worked in admissions in the ER and I was yelled at because someone's kid wasn't triaged fast enough (the kid had a sore shoulder). I brought the nurse out, she checked him and said it wasn't broken but they would take him to radiology as soon as a few other patients were taken back. Those other patients were more serious than that kid, but the parent yelled at me 3 more times before the took the kid to radiology. The kid was fine.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 8:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• This does not answer the original question exactly, but I wanted to comment on the ER thing. I totally hate it when people in the ER sit around whining and complaining about how "rediculous" it is they have to wait so long and blah blah blah blah. I do not work there, but I have visited the ER a few times if I had something go wrong that I thought needed checking sooner rather than later, or if I didn't have the cash for the doctor right then. Yes, I waited for hours...but I also knew that there were plenty of people sicker than me who deserved to go in ahead of me. There are also ambulances coming in that we do not see and this is really a pet peeve of mine for some reason! If you can WALK into the ER and you aren't having chest pains or seizures or something...just wait ur turn! As for the original post... I do not fully trust all doctors, but in an emergency they surely know more than me, so I would just let them be!
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I've actually seen situations where parents were told to leave the room if they didn't step back at the local ER. I believe it too, I cut hair for a living, some parents can't even stay out of that.Putting their fingers on spots that haven't been cut yet, or saying their childs hair is curly when it's stick straight, and so on. It's like if they know so much why don't they save their money and go do it themselves.
    Anonymous

• "There are also ambulances coming in that we do not see and this is really a pet peeve of mine for some reason! If you can WALK into the ER and you aren't having chest pains or seizures or something...just wait ur turn!"

Unless you go to my local ER they make you sit even if you're having chest pains, seizures, throwing up blood they don't care.. (and i'm not exaggerating either!)

With that said, i've been there many times where my son is laying out with paramedics or doctors and nurses working on him and while it's to just stand there and watch I also know that they know more than I do and hopefully are going to do their best to care for him. The only times I have said anything to nurses or a dr is when I knew for sure they were doing something they weren't supposed to be doing.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I would like to become more educated on certain things though, that way if for some reason my paramedic were the one in fifty that was a total moron...I could call him out on it. Just for example, and I know that everyone is sick of the Michael Jackson thing...but bear with me. The Dr. was doing his chest compressions on the bed, and the guy who was standing there obvioulsy didn't notice that you NEVER do CPR on a soft surface like that. Sorry I threw him in there, but it was the only real life example I could think of. LOL. But obviously, a doctor should know that... and if he'd done it properly, it could have made a difference. So I think if I really noticed something super stupid like that... I'd wanna know about it so I could jump in there and say "No...do this!"
    ErinHill226

Answer by ErinHill226 at 8:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I had people in the waiting room offering to give up their turn because my 3 day old baby was sent to the ER with a bilirubin of 30 and was not seen for 8 hours! The sick people in the ER told the nurse to see her first! I didn't even say anything. The nurse took her bili count again and got very alarmed. Well long story short my daughter was immediately transferred to Children's Hospital by ambulance. When we got there her bili was at 32 and she was up for a blood transfusion. If it weren't for those unselfish people in the ER that night it could have been worse. I didn't realise at the time how bad it really was!
    Steff107

Answer by Steff107 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• LOl I had an EMT tell the doctor that I had a recent tubalectomy! Me and the doc smiled and said tubal ligation!
    Anonymous

• Luckily I have never been in an emergency situation like that, but I'm sure these parents are just doing that out of fear and panic. I can only imagine how horrible it must feel to have your child's life completely in the hands of a person who don't even know. You have to put your trust totally in them to do everything they can to fix the problem and it must be a terrible feeling not knowing if they are "good enough" for the job. However getting in the way of those people, whether they be doctors, EMTs, nurses, etc. is only making things harder on everyone. When I gave birth to my son, many nurses were helping me breastfeed him because I was having a rough time. My grandma was in the room (who thinks she is all knowing) and kept commenting on the nurses' advice saying things like "no she shouldn't do it like that" and "what are you guy's trying to teach her?!" It made things so difficult on everyone that I told her to get out.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I have had a couple serious ER situations with my youngest son and I have stepped back and let the doctors do what they need to do. I am not a dr. and I don't know more than they do.
    Anonymous

• No, I don't know what you mean. Paramedics and Dr's have put in millions of hours and volunteered their precious time to save people. They see the scum of the earth. They see the best and the worst in all people and situations, yet they continue to thrive in this very environment... for what... to have people like you interfere with their knowledge and training? I don't very damn well think so Hon. If you don't like what they do... get your lazy butt up and get out there and train to become someone who puts their life on the line for doubting low lifes like yourself. Training is free..... Go do it. I bet you don't have what it takes to put forth that effort... do ya... Yet, you will complain if something happens that is not quite right? Lord this is what is wrong with our very country...... You are the sue McDonald's type because your coffee is too hot, aren't ya???? Worthless...
    Anonymous