when should babies be sitting up or crawling?

ok my son was a 24weeker and had level 2 brain bleeds his 10months out and only should be 6months old he doesn't sit up by him self and idk how to teach him that!

and his working on crawling but he doesn't have that yet either he can move him self but his not crawling

enaNianza

Asked by enaNianza at 8:58 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Since ur baby was real preemie its taking him longer to learn thing he will learn have u tryed putting pilliows around him to try and help him sit up or do u have one of those bambo seats u can get them at walmart. My daughter didnt really start sitting tell 8 mths and crawled at 8 mths she was scooting at 6 mth.
    Anonymous

• buy a bumbo or put a boppy behind him to help him sit up.
    and as for crawling...get on the floor and show him how. put some toys our of reach so he has to work to get to them. he'll get it all in good time. you may just need to work a little more with him seeing that he was born at 24 wks. good luck mama!
    smb87

Answer by smb87 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• k the fact that your son was a premmie means he is going to be delayed. . how old is your son by your due date? my son was born at 37 wks. he is almost 8 mts and jsut a few days ago started sitting and army crawling. also crawling is not a milestome
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 9:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My DD was not sitting up around 8 mos. I bought a little battery operated dome light (meant for garages and hallways). You can get them for like $5 at Walmart. I used to put this between DDs legs and put her hands on it. When she went to slump forward (which she did whenever I sat her up) her hands turned on the light. She loved it and was sitting within a week.

As far as crawling my LO didn't crawl until 2 weeks before her first birthday. She just rolled everywhere lol I swore she was going to go straight to walking, but then she hung around her 4 yo cousin for a few days. Her cousin as crawling and playing and being a normal 4 yo. My DD was crawling about a week after that. Bringing little ones around older kids can be a helpful influence.

HTH!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Every child is different, and since your child was premature he may take a little longer to catch onto these things. A lot of ways moms teach their babies to sit up unassisted is to simply sit them up and catch them if they fall. Try and distract your child with a toy when you sit him up and see if the distraction allows them to keep their balance.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm sorry, I have no advice but just have to write and say 24 weeks! WOW! Well done mom, you've obviously done a fantastic job with your little one and you should be proud of such an achievement!
    TopBrit

Answer by TopBrit at 9:08 PM on Oct. 26, 2009