Anger issues

My 16 month old seems to have alot of anger issues. I know due to his limited words he has to show me whats wrong instead of saying it but the last couple of months when he gets upset or I tell him "no" he either hits me, hits something or hits his self. He just started banging his head on things when he is upset. I am sure other kids have done this but I am not sure what to do to make him stop. I am afaird he going to hurt himself and plus it looks bad when your out and your child starts hitting himself. Any ideas would be great. Tried time out and he just does it in timeout.. Please help

jmitchell7620

Asked by jmitchell7620 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• duct tape... :) just be strict restrain him it'll pass but it needs to be addressed
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 9:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I can relate, my sondoes the same thing its been going on since he was 6 months, now he is four years old and ecveryone told me he would grow out of it but he hasn't, it's actually worse. He started off hitting his head aainst the walls or punching his self, now he talks baack, runs away from me, and has no self control over hitting complete strangers. A couple nights ago we were in walmart and he took off running from me saying i wasn't his mom, imagine how people were looking ( as if I was trying to kidnap him or something). It's extremely hard because like you said they can't do that type of stuff in public and their actions become dangerous. For me I'm going to see if my son can see like a behavioral therapist because they woon't allow him to start school with the way he acts. One piece of advice, don't underestimate your child, when people tell you he'll grow out of it don't just leave it at that, talk to his doctor
    mommy1572905

Answer by mommy1572905 at 10:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Talk to him. Calmly explain to him why you told him "No" and then if he starts to become violent, gently retrain him and tell him why he isn't to do that. Your son does what a lot of toddlers do, and it's out of frustration that they are doing it. It will take time, but approach the situation calmly and try to show him different ways of reacting. Maybe encourage him to use his words. I understand he has a limited vocabulary, but you might be able to encourage him to try more words.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:48 PM on Oct. 27, 2009