Would you still take your child?

I want to start taking my 2 yrs old)to a playgroup so my child can socialize and for me to meet some friends. My dh doesn't think it's a good idea since it's the flu season and the swine flu going around. I said I doubt if parents will be taking their children if they are sick, but his argument is that the swine flu symptoms takes up a week to take effect, you don't know whether a person is sick or not. I say it's no different than going to a store or any other place. He says that children can catch sickness easier & that's why in school a lot of kids get sick. His reason also is he doesn't want to risk it since it's just me and our child right now since he is deployed. & since I'm pregnant, he doesn't want one or both of us getting sick with the swine flu w/o anyone else here to help. After some time arguing, he said it's up to me. Now Idk..is it too risky to go to playgroup or is it the same risk as going to a store?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:09 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I honestly think a playgroup where kids are close together is much riskier than going to the store. You are also pregnant so you want to keep as healthy as possible for the little one on the way. good luck in whatever you decide. I for one will not be flying because if one person is sick, with that recirculated air the chance of you catching something is really high.
    SEEKEROFSHELLS

Answer by SEEKEROFSHELLS at 9:12 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• listen to him,he may not be right all the way but he is showing you he cares.plus he is gone so he wants everything to be good,i would listen
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:13 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• He's right. You usually share cold/flu germs with other people before you even have symptoms. Maybe you could start doing this after flu season?
    Anonymous

• I used to belong to a MOPS group for moms of infants and toddlers. It was a great source of fellowship, friendship and support for me, but I am not going right now due to the flu. I am pregnant and have a 3 year old and 18 month old. Even though the group was for SAHM's, my kids did get sick every time we went, so don't think for a second other moms won't bring sick kids. Also, swine flu is contagious even before symptoms develop.

The swine flu can be mild for the average person, but for kids under 5 and pregnant women this is deadly and no joke. I wouldn't go if I were you.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:18 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Oh, and I don't go to Walmart or the grocery store any more, my DH does that so I don't get exposed to the flu. I do go to Target for diaper, etc. but I go first thing in the morning when no one is there and I use had sanitizer and carry Lysol with me and spray the cart before I touch it. If I need milk, I get it at Braum's and avoid the crowded grocery stores.

You need to protect yourself from this virus since you're pregnant and also respect your husband's wishes.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I think it also depends on the playgroup. I've helped with several on different bases over the yrs, and I'm a MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers) volunteer where we're stationed now (I provide childcare while the moms meet). We have very strict rules as far as children who show signs of sickness being allowed, and we disinfect all the toys and etc.

I do think it's very important that you keep yourself and your lo healthy, and protect yourself, BUT, at the same time, it's also very important - ESPECIALLY while he's deployed - that you have a support network (which since you say there isn't anyone there to help says you don't have one) - and a playgroup like this is a really good way to get one.

Honestly, I would make an appt with your PCM, or your lo's PCM and talk to them about it - they would be the best to ask about it and see if they think it's too risky or not.

gl!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:24 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• To sailorwifenmom:
    From OP

Yeah that's one of the reasons I want to join a playgroup for that support network too. And you're right too that I should talk to our PCM about it., I just hope they are not pushy about taking the swine flu vaccine. We usually get our flu shots, but as for taking the h1n1 shots, we're still undecided and leaning towards no since it's still new and all.

Thanks for those who took time to respond. You all made a valid point.
    Anonymous

• I'd wait but because some lonely mothers will take their child to a play date wether or not they are showing signs of sickness, I've seen it happen. At the moment the only other person I see is the one friend I have up here and that's because I know her daughter I know how she acts when she is sick and my friend knows I am pregnant so she wouldn't risk my health just so we could hang out. Just be careful if you want to go and make sure to wash your hands often and wash your toddlers hands before you leave and all of that stuff, I've heard that the regular soap and water is better then disinfectant but I'm not sure how true that is or not.
    Anonymous

• I read an article that said in addition to hand washing that gargling twice a day with salt water (or listerine), blowing your nose real good and then swabbing your nostrils with a cotton swab soaked in salt water, and drinking hot fluids like coffee, tea, hot cocoa, and soup can help decrease your risk of getting h1n1 because the virus enters through the nose and mouth and likes to breed at the back of your throat, doing these things help kill them at the source and drinking hot liquids will kill them and wash them into your stomach where they can't live. An interesting tid bit that I hope helps ease you if you decide to keep going to the playdates.
    cvinther2006

Answer by cvinther2006 at 2:11 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I honestly don't think it's too big a deal. You can't lock yourself inside just because you are afriad you might get sick. It's not fair to you or the child. Just take reason precautions and wash hands after play time and before eating and if you choose, get the vaccines for the flu.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2009