Is there any way not to pass on my fear of dentists to my 2 yr old?

I've been terrified of the dentist since I was about 5 yrs old. Because of this, I have horrible teeth. I don't want my son to go through the same fear I did.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:25 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in General Parenting

• u just have to be stonge when u take ur son if he starts to become scared just be there and try to keep his mind off things and tell him that he'll get a sticker after his done and make him think about that
    enaNianza

Answer by enaNianza at 9:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Lie to him about it. pretend to be excited about it. Geth im a book about going to the dentist. Never show your fear to him.
    OliviasMommy614

Answer by OliviasMommy614 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• maybe have someone who isnt afraid go with him
    he will sense your nervousness and it will spread to him
    maybe HUBBY or SO or even Grandma
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:30 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I agree with getting him a book or movie about going to the dentist and try to be excited about going. Dont show your scared and good luck.
    Ziggy-Stardust

Answer by Ziggy-Stardust at 9:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Yea i think so.
    I have been successful at making sure my boys aren't afraid of spiders even though i scream and run every time! lol
    But then again ...i don't think your 2yr old son can (or should) kill a dentist! o.O
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Get him to the dentist ASAP so it's something he's done since the beginning. If you can get him into a pediatric dentist, they are used to easing a child into going to the dentist and making it a lot less scary. As you said, your teeth are bad because you didn't go to the dentist. Don't do that to your child. Get him to the dentist sooner rather than later. And as others have said, you might need to get someone else to take him.
    Andrewsmom70

Answer by Andrewsmom70 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I am right there with you. I have to take a xanax just to make a dental appointment.

Take your child to a pediatric dentist; it is worth the extra cost. Start at age two, go every six months.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Just talk to your child and let him know that the dentist is happy to see such pretty teeth and keep them that way. Just make it a fun trip and give your child a reward... Not a big one , but a little something , like ice cream. Read to your child about the dentist and take him.... I agree take your child every 6 months...
    goldielock37

Answer by goldielock37 at 9:17 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• brush his teeth for him, make sure his teeth are clean and he has no cavities.. take him to a nice friendly pedi dentist... i feel the same, but my son has no fear of it because i act strong for him and dont show him the stress it causes me.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• I too have a HUGE fear of dentists. to the point where just making an appointment makes me sweat & almost break into tears. I did not want that for my kids I knew it was my fear & I knew why I had it (crappy asshole dentist growing up) I took my kids to a pediatric dentist. who makes sure that kids do not end up with a fear like mine. Our dentist (for the kids) has sunglasses they can wear because of bright lights, toys to play with, they use kid friendly language for the kids like tickling the teeth, counting the teeth etc. My kids love the dentist & my 6 y.o. treats it like it is going to Disney !! he counts it down on the calendar & when he wakes up that day he is so excited he is about to burst he makes sure he brushes his teeth extra well so they are nice & shiny for the dentist etc I talked to his dentist about my fear & how I did not want to pass it on to my kids G/L. Be upbeat!!

Don't mention the word scared
    justgrape723

Answer by justgrape723 at 9:34 AM on Oct. 26, 2009