sudden attachment to loveys

All of a sudden this weekend my daughter formed an attachment to her blanket and her bear "Haha" (he laughs when you press his foot, she named him Haha lol I love that name!). She refuses to go ANYWHERE without them. She threw a fit when we left the house without her blanket tonight. She had Haha, but not her blanket, and SCREAMED for it. I explained to her that the blanket is for bedtime only, and I refuse to budge on that one. She can bring Haha everywhere, but not her bedsheets.

Anyways. Where is this sudden attachment coming from? Nothing has changed, no new job, no new routine, everything is business as usual. Any ideas? She's never had a lovey before, so I'm not sure how to deal with having one! lol

BTW She'll be 2 in two weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:26 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It is simply her AGE. And it's a VERY good thing!!! Take full advantage of it! It is so much easier for them to deal with new situations with a familiar lovey (thus the wanting to take lovies everywhere!) I wouldn't worry too much. Since she has two lovies, I would agree with you on the blanket deal--keep that one at home! But I'd let her drag "Haha" with her everywhere she wants to. (I love the name, too, btw! SO cute!)

Another option with the blanket is to either cut a corner or make a little blankey for "haha" for her to carry around. That way, she has part of her blanket but it's not being drug around.
    Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 8:40 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• sorry, didn't mean to post anonymous!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:27 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My son started doing that around that age. He has a bear, a puppy and now a mouse (except it's really a cat, but he named it mouse) that he can't live without. It started with the bear and now the collection is growing. It's nice that he's got a couple so if one gets misplaced (puppy just spent a few days in the kitchen cabinet) there are back ups. He also collects blankets and insists he sleeps with all of them. I guess it's just a 2 year old thing.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• well maybe she sees that her parents have thing that are just theirs that they take every where
    maybe its a purse, or a cell phone, or even a wallet.
    LOL..so maybe her Haha and blanket are like her cell phone and purse :)
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• hmmmm so you think I should let her bring the blanket everywhere? I just don't want her to bring it to daycare with her--it was her Papi's baby blanket. He would be devestated if it got ruined :~) Is there any way to break her of bringing it with her? She only started this weekend, like I said. I offer her alternative blankets but she doesn't want them.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:39 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• you should just let her scream it out for a few minutes until she realises she wont be bringing her blanket anywhere
    Anonymous

• That's actually what I did tonight, anon. I wanted to make it painless for her, but I guess that's not gonna happen! lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:47 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Oh, I just read it was Papi's blanket--can't cut that!!

Hmm... maybe find a very special place for Papi's blanket and explain to her how sad she'd be if she lost it and put it in that special place. Take a picture of it and put it in her back pack for daycare so she can at least see it. Tell her it'll be waiting for her when she gets home.

My oldest DD had her "Bo Boo", which was a Carter's receiving blanket. She would not accept any other type of blanket, but I found she would accept new colors of the blanket as long as they felt the same. Is there any way to make a new Papi blanket from the same fabric?

Pieta0227

Answer by Pieta0227 at 8:44 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• sounds pretty normal. Just stick to the boundries yourve set and she will adjust.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 11:23 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My son has recently started to become attatched to a particular blanket. He'll be playing on the floor, then suddenly go into his room and try to pull the blanket out from between the slats. He'll playing all day with the blanket in his mouth. It's cute, but it is quite sudden that he's become soo attached to it. It is normal for children to find comfort in something, even just out of the blue. Especially when they hit their toddler years and the world seems a little bit bigger to them.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:36 PM on Oct. 27, 2009