Cheap Christmas Gifts????? Help!!!

My husband has been laid off so money is really tight, so I am wanting to hand make all of our christmas gifts. Christmas is only 2 months away I need to start getting ideas together... I am fairly crafty so please send me any ideas that you have. Thanks in advance.

luvingmomuv2

Asked by luvingmomuv2 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Plenty of baked goodies wrapped up pretty.
    07upsydaisy

Answer by 07upsydaisy at 9:34 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• My aunt was really tight on money last year and she made everyone slippers. (she knits)
    At first i wasn't really very thrilled ...but i LOVE them. i wear them more then my store bought slippers.

I'm not very crafty, but i do scrapbook and i plan on start making mini books for family in advance and then gifting those out on the holidays.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 9:35 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• a good gift for any adult is pictures inside a nice frame, a mini scarp book, or if your a good cook maybe a box of homemade cookies. gifts for kids kids under three homemade puppets (from socks)
    Also i have found thrift stores in a nice area have toys that are almost like new, the dollar store can sometimes have nice stuff. here's a site that has 63 gift ideas for under$10:
    http://www.betterbudgeting.com/articles/money/63giftsunder10dollars.htm
    maiahlynn

Answer by maiahlynn at 9:53 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I love food gifts. I have seen people make candles or soaps for gifts. My grandparents love getting photos in a picture frame. (they never have enough frames-LOL) I like to go to the clearance section in the nicer book stores and you can find some real "steals" there!
    CoCoMom89

Answer by CoCoMom89 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I'm crafty, like you, and I'm making most of our gifts this year too. Afghans and fleece blankets, lighted potpourri bowls, ornaments, matching scarf & hat & mitten sets, throw pillows knitted w/ fun fur yarn, a few cross stitched pictures.....

With such short notice, you could make embroidered pillow cases, sew or crochet table runners, do appliqued designs on some dollar store sweatshirts or Tshirts, sew aprons & give with little recipe booklets that you put together, make personalized ornaments, print off pretty poems w/ pretty designs and frame them for a gift, make up a coupon booklet for baked goods.

Check out some of the craft groups here on CM. At this time of year they're FULL of ideas of things you can make.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 10:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I hear ya! I personally just get the kids in the family something. Your family will understand. This year I am taking some old white button up shirts from my hubby that he doesnt use anymore and I am painting my niece and nephews name on it with acylic paints. You may prefer iron ons.

You can purchase necklace chains at your local craft store, buy a few charms along with a charm that is thier intial. Check for sales and clearanced charms too. Or hey, break it down to a bracelet! lol That only covers the ladies though, not the men.

3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 12:02 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• For some one who you spent a lot of time with take a calender and put a date on it each month for something to do together Jan make new year resolutions Feb make heart shape cookies March go to a Easter egg hunt April watch dancing in the rain June go on a panic July watch the fire works August go swimming Sept go make the teachers Oct make a costume Nov Make placements for your Thanksgiving meal Dec go on a ride to found the Christmas light Just a explain you know your family and love you better then I do the point is to promise to spend time each month with them. I need something like this one year fo my hubby but weekly. We still have fun with it.

Alieda

Answer by Alieda at 12:38 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• every year I bake a huge loaf of bread but lately I've considered that to be more of a "chipping in for the food" not a present. a friend of mine got me some lavendar in bulk: a huge bag for $5, and I plan to make the ladies of the family lavendar sachets this year. for the guys I dunno. I might make a batch of m&m cookies and give them each a batch in a small tin (they have adorable cookie tins at the dollar tree).
    Anonymous

• Duh I just remembered this! Do the whole popcorn and a movie basket filled with goodies and Cracker Jacks (you can actually still find this) Buy a container or basket from $ Store. I know Target and WalMart sell decent family movies for around $10. I am certainly not the only one to think of this but it works great if you give this ONE gift to say, a family of two, three, four, or five.
    3gigglemonsters

Answer by 3gigglemonsters at 5:48 PM on Oct. 26, 2009

• One of the things my mom loves to get every year is a calendar with my daughter's pictures. At Jo Ann Crafts you can buy really cute calendars for $1. They have blank pages that you glue photos on, so I take all the cute photos from throughout the year and make photo calendars for the grandparents.

If you sew, I have a book of really cute patterns for things you can make out of felt - travel tissue holders, bags, scarves.
    lvpenguino

Answer by lvpenguino at 6:07 PM on Oct. 26, 2009