Any advice on eventually weaning my now 10 month old from the breast? He is not interested in the bottle at all, so I have strictly breastfed for 10 months and plan to continue until age 1.

lacer777

Asked by lacer777 at 9:36 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• well im preg so my mom has been giving me all of this advice that im sure is great but i'll probably forget soon until I need it

She told me that instead of switching us to a bottle she switched up to a slow flow tippy cup and cupz wiith built in straws. turns out I went straight to drinking with a straw, my lil sister went to a tippy cup. she stopped solely BF at a year with us both
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:38 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I would try offering more solids and a sippy cup when he gets around age one.
    Anonymous

• I would also try a sippy cup. If your baby refuses that you could always go straight to a cup! My mom has always told me we were all droinking from cups at one year. They didn't have sippy cups then!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:41 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Keep breastmilk/breastfeeding as the main source of nutrition until AT LEAST age 1. THEN, the best way to wean is to drop one feeding per week, do it gradually and with love. You could also look in to nursing for longer, if you wish, as there are many benefits to continuing to breastfeed for longer. However, if weaning around age 1 is the route you use to take (or whenever you decide to wean) it should always be a slow and gradual process, so that you recognize the baby's need and desire for nursing.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 9:50 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• you could probably find some good advice on kellymom.com :) good job nursing her little one :)
    Anonymous