I can't quit smoking, any advice anyone??

I'm 28 weeks and I have smoked cigarettes on and off throughout this entire pregnancy. I know I'm a horrible person for it and I don't need to explain how shitty my life is right now because there's no excuse for what I'm doing to my baby. When I found out I was pregnant I cut back a lot, and then for about 3 weeks straight I quit completely. Then, I went back to 1 a day, which turned into 2 day, which led to where I'm at now (about 6-8 a day). Some days less than others. So far, the baby and I are really healthy, I have no blood pressure issues, her heartrate and growth are right on track, but I fear she may be born with problems and I'll have noone to blame but me. How can I quit for good before it's too late, if not already??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Pregnancy

• First of all, you're not a horrible person just because you're smoking. You obviously feel really bad about it, and if you were a horrible person, you wouldn't. There are way worse things you could be doing, and I know plenty of people who have had completely healthy babies after they smoked during the pregnancy. With that said, it isn't good for your baby, or you and it IS putting your baby at risk. You do need to quit, but of course you already know that. People who have never smoked don't understand. I was lucky because I quit smoking the day I found out and it wasn't that hard for me.Just try to cut back as much as possible and talk to your Dr. about it, even though I know that will be hard to do. There are things that can help you quit that are safe to take while pregnant. Now stop beating yourself up about it and focus on quitting. It doesn't make you a bad mom. I wish you and your baby the best.
    StefanieN84

Answer by StefanieN84 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• IMO your baby's health should be enough to make you quit.
    naturepeace

Answer by naturepeace at 9:48 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• 1st lets change I cant quit smoking to I CAN QUIT SMOKING
    tell yourself that everytime you think of smoking

also I've never been a smoker so I have no idea of what the addiction to nicotine is like but many family members do and when some of them have quit they went and bought a bunch of gum and lollipops or any hard candy. when you want a cigarette put a lollipop in your mouth. I hope that helps. Ive seen it work but I have never personally had gto deal with it

Good Luck
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 9:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• im expecting my first baby in feb, i do not smoke..but i can tell you my step mother smoked during her pregnancies and my brother was born without his head being fully developed... yes he is okay now but i guess its hard for some people to quit even when something like this could happen to your very own child
    fenska87

Answer by fenska87 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I wont lie, I smoked when I was pregnant, the whole time. I too cut back but never could really quit. I got down to about 5 or 6 a day. I did worry that my baby would have problems, although he didn't and right now he is a very healthy happy 7 month old. I know smoking is horrible for babies. But there has been a ton of healthy babies born to moms who smoked while pregnant. My mom smoked with me and her mom with her and we are all fine. Quit if you can, if you can't your baby will probably be just fine too. Good Luck Momma.
    Anonymous

• I used to smoke but I miscarried my first baby so I quit. I miscarried the 2nd, 3rd and 4th baby too. So when you have a really hard time having a baby you don't take it for granted. Just think about that every time you go to light up. Now it really bugs me when I see a prego woman smoking. I would just think about the fact that some women have to go through soooo much for a healthy baby....the least you could do it stop smoking for another few months at least.

Anonymous

• [[op]]

thanks for the answers so far. i realize there are a lot of unfortunate mothers out there who are super healthy and end up with premature babies and everything and here i am smoking and taking the health of my baby for granted. i feel terrible each time, and halfway through the cig i always say outloud "ok, this is the LAST one, NO MORE" but then i find myself doing it again. ive even tried eating when i get the urge because i figure getting fat would be far better than the alternative but it doesnt' work. :(
    Anonymous

• Definitely talk to your doctor about helping you quit. Get buddies that can help you. At the very least, cut back as much as you can. Go for a walk when you get the urge (far better than just eating); don't buy cigarettes...it's hard to smoke if you don't have any! I know you may bum some, but it'll be harder to do. Don't carry a lighter with you at all, so that if you find yourself with cigarettes, maybe you'll buy yourself some time if you can't light it up!

You may know, but just remind yourself that smoking increases your risk for miscarrying, a premature baby, still birth, and low birth weight (which is a big deal, even though some may brush it off as not). You are carrying this perfect little life inside of you and he or she is getting everything you are!

I have never smoked and I would never dream to tell you it's easy to quit (obviously it's not), but just do your hardest to try! Good luck mama.
    jlry_ldy

Answer by jlry_ldy at 10:21 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I was a smoker. I found out I was pregnant at 3/4 weeks along. That day I found out. I smoked what was left in my pack (3 cigarettes) and have not looked back since. Cravings only last about 3 to 5 minutes. The come frequently at first but the longer you go, the more time between cravings there is. If you stay quit, the cravings may never go away. But just remember, they last 3-5 minutes. Everytime you want one, this is what I did...I rubbed my belly and thought of this child that did not choose to be born, I had to give this baby every chance I could for a perfect life. I still today, when I have a craving, find myself rubbing my belly. It is hard, very hard but you can do it!. If you need support, just send me a message. I have been there. Good Luck.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 10:49 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• I went through the same thing!!!!!! What I did was I kept my butt can, put a lil water in it and put a lid on. Everytime I wanted a cig I would take the lid off and take a big wiff.....it smells horrible! Trust me this will work!! Good luck!!
    djkita

Answer by djkita at 12:47 AM on Oct. 26, 2009