Help, my son's behavior is out of control!

Every time that I try to get my son to listen to me, he just ignores me, starts laughing at me or throws temper tantrums. He also gets very angry at me whenever he can't have something his way. I have tried everything possible to put a stop to all of this but nothing works! I'm so fed up with it! I have lost all of my patience with my son! Please help! Thanks!

SingleMother05

Asked by SingleMother05 at 9:57 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Time outs every time
    dont let one thing slide
    Anonymous

• Try spending positive time with him, for one. Another thing to do is consistency! Use the same punishment for the same action.Dont switch it around, it might confuse him. Take time outs for yourself and let him throw his fits. Dont pay any attention to him when he does throw fits so that he knows that he doesnt get attention for it. Stick to your guns when you say no! If you dont, then he will think it will always be that way and then, regardless of whether you want it or not, he will be the boss eventually. You have to stick to it!
    youngmom20

Answer by youngmom20 at 1:28 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• My pediatrician recommended the book SOS for Parents. It's very simplistic, but it gives some pretty good tips. I also like 1-2-3 Magic. I have had to deal with my daughters tantrums, sassy talk, refusal to do as I ask for about 2 years (she'll be 5 in Dec.) Have just started to do the time out thing...but everyone, I mean EVERYONE talks about consistency. You can't let one instance go by.
    char944

Answer by char944 at 7:31 AM on Oct. 26, 2009