Help with severe separation anxiety?

My 10 month old has suddenly begun screaming every time I'm out of sight - sometimes even if I'm in sight but not holding her.

I'm afraid she's probably been spoiled (inadvertently) because I have a 2-1/2 year old as well, and I was always so afraid of the infant waking up my toddler in the middle of the night, I'd pick her up the second she started crying, pretty much since birth.

My first never had the separation anxiety *quite* this bad - I mean, my 10-month-old turns bright red with screaming and cries huge, drippy crocodile tears until I pick her up. :-/

Any tips on how I can ease this situation?

aliceryannesmom

Asked by aliceryannesmom at 10:04 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• play pen in a busy area of the house... tlk to her even if its from the other room... gl
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 10:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Distraction! Anything you can do to distract her will help. Does she respond to a photo of you? Sounds cheesy but maybe keeping one in clear view could help?
    Anonymous

• Thank you, I will use those suggestions!! Much appreciated.

P.S. Yes, she definitely responds to pictures of me so that could be a big help!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 4:05 PM on Oct. 27, 2009