How do I cope with an almost 5 year old girl and a 12 year old boy who wet their bed regularily?

I have 2 children who each are bedwetters and i need help cuz im not gonna live with it anymore.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:14 PM on Oct. 25, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• What is going on in your family life to cause this? Are they scared, upset, abuse going on? I would certainly check with your family Dr.
    Anonymous

• Bedwetting is normal even in adulthood. Have you cut off drinks after a certain time? Get them up once or even twice if necessary in the middle of the night to take them to the bathroom? Maybe they're both hard sleepers, and sleep too hard to feel when they need to pee.
    Anonymous

• um ...anon. As an adult i have never wet the bed
    My boys are almost 4 and almost 5 and on a VERY RARE occasion they might wet the bed. My oldest wet the bed over 6 months ago (big life style changes, death of a loved on etc etc). My younger son has not wet the bed in i don't remember when!

When my boys wet the bed i have them clean it up all by themselves. They take the sheets off the bed. they take them out to the washer. they put them in etc etc. And then they put the clean sheet back on. the WHOLE thing. yep. I offer very little assistance. ...needless to say, they don't like wetting the bed.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 10:32 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• First off bet wetting is not the no. 1 sign of abuse. Second do NOT limit fluids after a certain time. I was a bedwetter as was my child. It is hereditary abd it is a SLEEP disorder.  Not a bladder problem, not a fluid problem and not abuse.  Here is a great company I used to get my daughter to stop wetting.

http://www.stopwetting.com/

My daughter wet the bed just about every night.  I was fed up and I found this company and my daughter was dry within 3 months.  Hope this helps...GL

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 10:33 PM on Oct. 25, 2009

• Have your childs nDr check for infections..UTI, bladder, kidney. That ended up being what was wrong with my daughter. But I will say that the 12 year old conserns me. And yes it is a sign of abuse!!!!!! Talk to your child see if there is something going on!!!!!
    djkita

Answer by djkita at 12:51 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• Bedwetting MAY be a sign of abuse. Bedwetting is NOT ALWAYS a sign of abuse. I wet the bed until I was 9. My parents took me to the dr. many times to try to find out what was wrong with me. They ended up spending a lot of money on an alarm pad that would go off when I wet the bed. I had bladder problems. I could not control my bladder. I had no warning when I had to go. When I realized I had to go, it was often too late. Day time and night time. I always got in a lot of trouble about it, too. I still have problems sometimes.

My son wet the bed until he was 11. He was never abused. I bought him goodnites to sleep in and he eventually outgrew it. When he wet his sheets, he would have to strip his bed, wash his sheets, blankets & clothes & remake his bed. But I never made a big deal of it or scolded him or belittled him about it. His was not a bladder problem like mine was. He just sleeps hard and wouldn't wake up.
    Leslie2164

Answer by Leslie2164 at 3:55 AM on Oct. 26, 2009

• When my oldest was 12 he still wet the bed. We cut out all drinks after 5 pm and he had to go pee before bed. He still had issues and his doctor said it was not all that uncommon. We made his bed then put a rubber sheet on top of that then made it up again. So if he did have an accident he could pull off the bedding throw it in the washing machine along with is pee soaked PJ's and get back to sleep without waking us and everyone else in the house. He eventually stopped I think the fact he was not stressed about getting me up anymore helped a bit. I never yelled at him and tried to encourage him but he felt really bad. Buy some rubber sheets and do what we did. If they continue to do this at least it won't take as long to get them back into bed.
    Anonymous